Mac Gregor 26 Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
There has been some discussion of late on the Macgregor 26 here is my opinion I dont own a Macgregor 26 and Ive never sailed on one but there was one moored next to me earlier this season. I observed him leaving his mooring and sailing out of the harbor on several occasions always under power. I sailed by him returning to the harbor on a breezy choppy day. I observed The boat struggling and bouncing to windward and not making much headway to weather. Soon he started his outboard and motored by me.I have observed this boat on its mooring. I also have a 26ft boat and the Macgregor mast is much shorter than mine It also had a 35hp outboard. Im not a beginner Ivegot over 50 years sailing experience and the shape of the Macgregor hull looks more like a motor boat than a sailboat to me. I think its probably ok for someone that lives a long way from where they sail and must trailer sail the boat as opposed to leaving it in a slip. It might be of some use to someone under the above circumstances but Its a small motor sailer at best. There are not many 26ft sailboats with 35 hp motors. For anyone that wants a real sailboat with decent performance in the 26ft range there are many other choices. Again this is only one mans opinion.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
There has been some discussion of late on the Macgregor 26 here is my opinion I dont own a Macgregor 26 and Ive never sailed on one but there was one moored next to me earlier this season. I observed him leaving his mooring and sailing out of the harbor on several occasions always under power. I sailed by him returning to the harbor on a breezy choppy day. I observed The boat struggling and bouncing to windward and not making much headway to weather. Soon he started his outboard and motored by me.I have observed this boat on its mooring. I also have a 26ft boat and the Macgregor mast is much shorter than mine It also had a 35hp outboard. Im not a beginner Ivegot over 50 years sailing experience and the shape of the Macgregor hull looks more like a motor boat than a sailboat to me. I think its probably ok for someone that lives a long way from where they sail and must trailer sail the boat as opposed to leaving it in a slip. It might be of some use to someone under the above circumstances but Its a small motor sailer at best. There are not many 26ft sailboats with 35 hp motors. For anyone that wants a real sailboat with decent performance in the 26ft range there are many other choices. Again this is only one mans opinion.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead

Jenni

May 24, 2007
Macgregor 26D Port Hope, ON
newer Macs

The Mac that is sliped next to your must be one of the newer X or M model Macgregors. These are the motor sailor macgregors that are rated up to a 50hp motor. I own a 1988 26D, and they are a much better sailor than the newer boats (at least after you get a modified rudder on them.) Although I have been on both and I have to admit the cabin on the newer Macs are much more comforatable than on my 26D, you really apreciate the ability to stand up in the cabin after spending a couple of weeks on a boat that only has a pop top.

Jenni

May 24, 2007
newer Macs

The Mac that is sliped next to your must be one of the newer X or M model Macgregors. These are the motor sailor macgregors that are rated up to a 50hp motor. I own a 1988 26D, and they are a much better sailor than the newer boats (at least after you get a modified rudder on them.) Although I have been on both and I have to admit the cabin on the newer Macs are much more comforatable than on my 26D, you really apreciate the ability to stand up in the cabin after spending a couple of weeks on a boat that only has a pop top.

Jenni

May 24, 2007
newer Macs

Jenni

May 24, 2007
newer Macs

Jul 11, 2004
Macgregor 25 Saint Cloud Florida, City Marina
I dunno ...

maybe the boat sails just fine. Maybe the sailor of the 26 doesn't have the years you have at handling a sailboat. ...deep thoughts sardo

Jul 11, 2004
I dunno ...

maybe the boat sails just fine. Maybe the sailor of the 26 doesn't have the years you have at handling a sailboat. ...deep thoughts sardo

Jul 11, 2004
I dunno ...

Jul 11, 2004
I dunno ...

Nov 2, 2007
- - SoCal
Marblehead-Thank you for visiting our site

now go home. Do you also go to the Ford Enthusiast web sites and tell them how awful Fords are, but withhold any information about what kind of car you choose to drive and why? Macgregors are controversial BECAUSE they aren't like other sailboats. Yet this fact still surprises you. Yes it's a motorsailer, if you read any of the advertisements for it, they would explain it better than I. I agree that the new Macs aren't for every sailor. No one is trying to make them such. They have their weaknesses, but they also have strengths. I have a feeling your boat: 1. Probably cannot be towed on a trailer (at all-let alone easily over long distances by a mid sized car). 2. Can't get up on a plane when under power and go 25+ knots. 3. Couldn't be easily and cheaply stored on the side of your house. 4. Probably doesn't have it's own website with loyal fans. If you say your boat is a better sailor than the new Mac near you, even though you won't tell us what kind of boat you have, I can still believe you. Motor sailors often don't sail as well under certain circumstances as true sailing vessels. What makes the Macs so controversial and upsetting to other sailors is that they do sail so well, maybe not as wonderfully as your boat, but darn close, and they do so much more! I'm sorry Marblehead to be so rough on you, but you did hunt down a Macgregor owners website just to write "For anyone that wants a real sailboat with decent performance in the 26ft range there are many other choices.". So, did you really search out our website simply to write that "my boat sails better than your boat"? Hmmm, there must be something more to it. Jealous? Finally, instead of writing nasty things about the Mac next to you, why not try saying "hi" to the owner? You are still both sailors. You should have learned more in your 50 sailing years. You might find he isn't such a marblehead.

Nov 2, 2007
- - SoCal

now go home. Do you also go to the Ford Enthusiast web sites and tell them how awful Fords are, but withhold any information about what kind of car you choose to drive and why? Macgregors are controversial BECAUSE they aren't like other sailboats. Yet this fact still surprises you. Yes it's a motorsailer, if you read any of the advertisements for it, they would explain it better than I. I agree that the new Macs aren't for every sailor. No one is trying to make them such. They have their weaknesses, but they also have strengths. I have a feeling your boat: 1. Probably cannot be towed on a trailer (at all-let alone easily over long distances by a mid sized car). 2. Can't get up on a plane when under power and go 25+ knots. 3. Couldn't be easily and cheaply stored on the side of your house. 4. Probably doesn't have it's own website with loyal fans. If you say your boat is a better sailor than the new Mac near you, even though you won't tell us what kind of boat you have, I can still believe you. Motor sailors often don't sail as well under certain circumstances as true sailing vessels. What makes the Macs so controversial and upsetting to other sailors is that they do sail so well, maybe not as wonderfully as your boat, but darn close, and they do so much more! I'm sorry Marblehead to be so rough on you, but you did hunt down a Macgregor owners website just to write "For anyone that wants a real sailboat with decent performance in the 26ft range there are many other choices.". So, did you really search out our website simply to write that "my boat sails better than your boat"? Hmmm, there must be something more to it. Jealous? Finally, instead of writing nasty things about the Mac next to you, why not try saying "hi" to the owner? You are still both sailors. You should have learned more in your 50 sailing years. You might find he isn't such a marblehead.

Nov 2, 2007
- - SoCal

Nov 2, 2007
- - SoCal

Oct 17, 2007
- - Chesapeake/ Fairfax va
he's got a Pearson 26 (Trailor envy!)

Its funny, read his comment on another thread http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?sku=2007218134208.62&fno=202#2007283143558.46. Apparantly he has a pearson 26. a fellow Pearson 26 needs advice hauling his Pearson 8 miles from Marina to his house and worried its too heavy. How horrid it is to see how they bash the Mac on their site. I guess he had to go in the Mac forum and Rant more(he is only willing to go 100 or so miles on his trailer)... 50 years of sailing and the guy does not know there are many types of sailboats: Light, Med and heavy, cruisers, racers, and motor sailers etc. From what I know of pearson designs, they are heavy displacment and are a pig in light winds. My Macgregor 26s would beat it in light to med winds. Should I go to the PEASRSON SITE AND BRAG ABOUT IT?

Oct 17, 2007

Its funny, read his comment on another thread http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?sku=2007218134208.62&fno=202#2007283143558.46. Apparantly he has a pearson 26. a fellow Pearson 26 needs advice hauling his Pearson 8 miles from Marina to his house and worried its too heavy. How horrid it is to see how they bash the Mac on their site. I guess he had to go in the Mac forum and Rant more(he is only willing to go 100 or so miles on his trailer)... 50 years of sailing and the guy does not know there are many types of sailboats: Light, Med and heavy, cruisers, racers, and motor sailers etc. From what I know of pearson designs, they are heavy displacment and are a pig in light winds. My Macgregor 26s would beat it in light to med winds. Should I go to the PEASRSON SITE AND BRAG ABOUT IT?

Oct 17, 2007

Oct 17, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.