Loose Stanchions

MT28.5

Mar 5, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Dallas
Looking for help on a 1988 Hunter 28.5 I just bought. I have a couple of stanchions on the port side that are loose. I understand they have a bail type foot. On the base, the exposed screws that hold the bail are tight and not the problem. The problem is the stanchion base itself is loose. I see a nut and bolt under the base but do not see how its supposed to be fastened to the base. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Maybe the base has integral bolts, i.e. no accessible screw heads? You may need to go below to the spot where they pass through the deck to find the corresponding nuts to tighten.

Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 30 Everett
I've had two of these separate on my 1988 H30. The disk with welded on nut is(was) compressed into the stanchion pipe. No sign of spot welds, which is strange. Once they pop out they require stanchion removal, clean up, tap back into place and a neat welding. You don't want the disk or weld to protrude below the stanchion base much or it will alter the angle of the stanchion. I had to do a bit of grinding on one that my welding shop built up too much. Next one they did three little spot welds and it is very solid.
Just finished rebuilding mine, and it prompted me to redo my old lifelines with Dyneema, which was very enjoyable and turned out great.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
View attachment 213567

I made these support brackets to stiffen the stanchions and they work great. The stanchions are now stiffer than the original setup. Aluminum 1/4 inch and heat formed and shaped around the stanchion. All the stanchions have these brackets.
Nice job. If, like me, you lack any metal working skills, you can probably get something like this from Garhauer.