Looking for Flooring options in 1980 Cat 27

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
I have the original flooring that could be smooth fiberglass. It is definitely original and was molded with the whole boat shell.
The floor is super slippery.
What options did you guys pick?
I’ve seen failed attempts with EVO…

Thx

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
I would avoid any sort of carpet. You could paint the floor with a non-aggressive non skid...

If you don't mind a bit spendy, we are happy with our Lonseal 'teak & holly' heavy duty vinyl. Epoxy down, never needs maintenance, and looks like the 'real thing'..
IMG_0971.JPG

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
I would avoid any sort of carpet. You could paint the floor with a non-aggressive non skid...

If you don't mind a bit spendy, we are happy with our Lonseal 'teak & holly' heavy duty vinyl. Epoxy down, never needs maintenance, and looks like the 'real thing'..View attachment 215334
Beautiful! What boat is this?
Ill look into your suggestio to see what “a little bit pricey” means for you vs me :)

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Beautiful! What boat is this?:)
Thanks! She's a 1991 Beneteau First 35s5. We've just finished a total interior refit.

btw I've used Evo successfully in our cockpit, replacing cracked/rotten teak slats. Great non skid and easy on the feet. The problem with the EVO panels is the gap between planks.. I think that would trap a lot of dirt etc.

IMG_0881.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I milled some mahogany and maple into T&G boards and glued them to the cabin floor of my 1976 Ericson 27. If you like doing this sort of thing it's great fun. I think the Lonseal Teak and Holly is a really good way to go. :)
Wow, beautiful!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA

If you don't mind a bit spendy, we are happy with our Lonseal 'teak & holly' heavy duty vinyl. Epoxy down, never needs maintenance, and looks like the 'real thing'..View attachment 215334
That looks great!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@xavpil
Fiberglass and gelcoat. Ours does have non skid molded in but it does look aged. We're happy with putting down non-skid throw rugs. They don't slip, feel good on the feet and when they're dirty put them in the washing machine.
I've considered the Lonseal flooring @Hollyberry used. His looks great.
Enough other projects to do so we kept it simple.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Previous owner of my boat had a carpet, I replaced it with a nicer looking rectangular rug, like you would put in the kitchen, not a fluffy bathroom rug, Worked well for a few years, till I got tired of it and through it out because it was a pain to keep cleaning. rugs don't have drains! Clean it with regular general purpose soap designed for mopping vinyl floors, like spic and span. Nothing that will leave a slippery surface like dish soap. I haven't really had any slipping problems... because we either wear boat shoes or no shoes.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
What options did you guys pick?
I’ve seen failed attempts with EVO…
EVO can be tricky, and like anything else it is all in the preparation. We went with EVO 4 years ago, and it is doing well. It can show rings if a part of it gets wet, but re-wetting and drying usually takes care of it. Getting the alignment of the lines correct on the first piece is critical, as everything else will build from there. We made templates from paper drop cloth and cut it out oversized at home where we could lay it out. (A bit of a pain, as it arrived tightly rolled into a tube and the backing slipped on several pieces.) Cleaned sole with acetone, laid foam down, rolled it to adhere well (Don't skip this step!), and trimmed to final size. Repeat until the sole is complete. We did the head and quarter berth as well. Cut 'teak' strips from scrap and used for non-slip on the companionway ladder.

Foam Down.jpg

• Helpful

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
EVO can be tricky, and like anything else it is all in the preparation. We went with EVO 4 years ago, and it is doing well. It can show rings if a part of it gets wet, but re-wetting and drying usually takes care of it. Getting the alignment of the lines correct on the first piece is critical, as everything else will build from there. We made templates from paper drop cloth and cut it out oversized at home where we could lay it out. (A bit of a pain, as it arrived tightly rolled into a tube and the backing slipped on several pieces.) Cleaned sole with acetone, laid foam down, rolled it to adhere well (Don't skip this step!), and trimmed to final size. Repeat until the sole is complete. We did the head and quarter berth as well. Cut 'teak' strips from scrap and used for non-slip on the companionway ladder.

View attachment 215472
great result!!!
Thanks for sharing all the steps.