Lobster Pots for Southerners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Often, when I am down south extolling the virtues of Maine cruising to friends from south of the forty third parallel, I will say, “Of course, there are the lobster pots.”

Usually they will say, “Oh, we have crab pots here. I’m sure it won’t be a problem for us.”

Here is a dose of reality:

Note that the second and third ones back are a toggle and buoy pair that you can not safely pass between. Most of what you see in the picture are similar pairs. Matching them up is just part of the fun of Maine cruising. There is no standard of color coding. Some toggles are buoys of the same or similar color, some are just small floats, and many are just any odd buoy the lobsterman happened to pick up.

You have to look closely. If there is any swell or chop, the buoys will just lie still and the toggles will bob tilting slightly up and down because of the weight of the rope. In a dead calm, it is a real puzzle.

Because of Maine’s geography, the current is usually perpendicular to your course as if flows in and out of the rivers and bays. This stretches the buoy / toggle pairs across your course like overlapping slalom gates except that you must miss every one.

When the current is in the same direction as your leeway and you are close hauled, your course may be 10 - 15 degrees different than your heading. Pinching up to miss a pot will often result in the boat just slowing and the path remaining the same or worse. In thick pots, you will end up bearing off for pair after pair until you come up against a shore or ledge and have to tack in the mess. Keeping your speed up is essential so you have to drive the boat as hard as you can to have the momentum to coast up around pots when necessary.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have to agree that our pots aren't as bad as that! The compensation is that the lobsters taste better, in my opinion!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It always seemed funny to me how many guys put black markers on their pots. Maine wins the prize for obstacle course sailing especially at night.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm absolutely sure, guaranteed, that somewhere in this day and age that some wag has APP software, most likely on an iPad or Android or both, as well as OpenCpn, Sea Clear, Navionics and the like (not even to say Garmin), that includes an up-to-date Google Earth view of every lobster pot field in Maine (and other states) that will interface with your AIS and GPS and autopilot, that will allow the prudent skipper to simply input his final destination and go to a berth below with his favorite beloved while his cutter ketch yawl slooped rigged sailboat sails itself on its merry way without hitting a single one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Often, when I am down south extolling the virtues of Maine cruising to friends from south of the forty third parallel, I will say, “Of course, there are the lobster pots.”

Usually they will say, “Oh, we have crab pots here. I’m sure it won’t be a problem for us.”

Note that the second and third ones back are a toggle and buoy pair that you can not safely pass between. Most of what you see in the picture are similar pairs. Matching them up is just part of the fun of Maine cruising. There is no standard of color coding. Some toggles are buoys of the same or similar color, some are just small floats, and many are just any odd buoy the lobsterman happened to pick up.

You have to look closely. If there is any swell or chop, the buoys will just lie still and the toggles will bob tilting slightly up and down because of the weight of the rope. In a dead calm, it is a real puzzle.

Because of Maine’s geography, the current is usually perpendicular to your course as if flows in and out of the rivers and bays. This stretches the buoy / toggle pairs across your course like overlapping slalom gates except that you must miss every one.

When the current is in the same direction as your leeway and you are close hauled, your course may be 10 - 15 degrees different than your heading. Pinching up to miss a pot will often result in the boat just slowing and the path remaining the same or worse. In thick pots, you will end up bearing off for pair after pair until you come up against a shore or ledge and have to tack in the mess. Keeping your speed up is essential so you have to drive the boat as hard as you can to have the momentum to coast up around pots when necessary.
And you don't like Florida !

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Oh, they look cute, unless you are tired and coming in at night and just flashing a torch to find your way through and thre is some a..hole at shore flashing a torch back at you and killing your night vision. Good thing that at least they are smart enough to scram before you tie down.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
First Time maine Cruisers Heads Up

Excellent topic Roger. Here's a thread I started a couple years back on this subject. Many guys weighed in on the subject here also.
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=131929

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Here's a thread I started a couple years back on this subject.http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=131929
Re: Mainesail's excellent post in that thread. I also do not have a line cutter. Since I am usually alone, I NEVER dive on a fouled warp and have never had to.

This method has worked for me every time with pot warps:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/Pots.htm

I've only had to use the hook knife once and that was after reading another post by Mainesail that the lobstermen would prefer that you just cut the pot off.

In my experience, by the time you realize you are fouled and have gotten the sails down and the hook knife out, you have already dragged the pot string a good distance. The knife is too dangerous to keep really close to hand.

Sailing without a hook knife in Maine is about as silly as sailing without a chart or GPS.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'm absolutely sure, guaranteed, that somewhere in this day and age that some wag has APP software, most likely on an iPad or Android or both, as well as OpenCpn, Sea Clear, Navionics and the like (not even to say Garmin), that includes an up-to-date Google Earth view of every lobster pot field in Maine (and other states) that will interface with your AIS and GPS and autopilot, that will allow the prudent skipper to simply input his final destination and go to a berth below with his favorite beloved while his cutter ketch yawl slooped rigged sailboat sails itself on its merry way without hitting a single one.
You're right, it's a sure thing.

And that wag works for the NSA.

Jun 5, 2012
Custom Mimi Rose Brooklin
These our are home waters. Not something you can do much about, but we have a boat that just doesn't pick up pots when sailing, so we can cruise right through them, as long as we're not motoring. (full keel, locked prop in aperture, close fitting rudder.) Probably one of the reasons full keels are so popular here. Also, a great reason to go the Eggemoggin Reach route over the Deer Isle Thoroughfare. I do dodge pots if we're in a tight spot with rocks nearby to leeward, just in case.

MaryC

Sep 30, 2008
Allmand 31 Grenada
There's just nothing quite like having to dive in the water and cut a lobster/crab pot line off the propeller! I've had to do it twice despite keeping a very careful watch. A bunch of crab pots can turn an otherwise lovely day of sailing into hell!

Mary
www.glassslipper.weebly.com

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
These our are home waters. Not something you can do much about, but we have a boat that just doesn't pick up pots when sailing, so we can cruise right through them, as long as we're not motoring. (full keel, locked prop in aperture, close fitting rudder.) Probably one of the reasons full keels are so popular here. Also, a great reason to go the Eggemoggin Reach route over the Deer Isle Thoroughfare. I do dodge pots if we're in a tight spot with rocks nearby to leeward, just in case.
When it comes to pot warp, some hulls are sticky, some are slippery. I have one of the latter types too. When under sail, I don't pay too much attention to the buoys and have them clunk the hull regularly. But they can be a real hassle with many boats.

I know the Mimi Rose, beautiful boat.

trasel

Dec 26, 2011
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md.
Great photo. I don't think our Chesapeake Bay crab pots ever become that bad. It looks like I would be sailing stressed trying to dodge all those lobster pots...and some are connected to one another...whew.
Anyway, thanks for sharing Roger, I now understand the issue much better...a picture is worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.