Launching boats with an outback?

Mar 22, 2024
Oday Oday22 Hudson, qc
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for input and experience on launching and retrieving a sailboat with a gross weight around 3000lbs (trailer included), with a 2016 Subaru 2.5l outback.

I'm in the process of purchasing a trailer sailor to keep dry docked at the local yacht club until a slip becomes available (prob a year or two). I'm probably looking at something along the lines of an ODay22 or MacGregor 25. A buddy of mine will transport the boat to the yacht club but I am planning on launching it and retrieving it daily with my 2016 2.5l outback locked in 1st gear. Total distance from launch to parking spot is about 300ft.
Does anyone have any experience using an outback

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm guessing that you'll be OK but I'm hoping someone with Outback experience can chime in. You need a steady control of throttle more than torque. I have an Xterra and an O'Day 25 with a heavy trailer. Towing is a no longer done to Xterra's light suspension but the engine and transmission handled towing for a couple hours at a time. The first time I launched and retrieved were a nightmare. It was impossible to get any traction with my RWD SUV. I had to get another vehicle to help tow me and the boat up the ramp. Once I fabricated a tongue extension, it was as easy as driving up a small hill.

I also suggest getting some trailer boat guides if your future trailer doesn't have them. It saves time and hassle.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
As noted by @Project_Mayhem, you’ll need to check the traction on the ramp. There are plenty of Youtube fails showing tow vehicles that ended up in the water.
Also, frequent launching of a trailer sailor is a non-starter for me. I learned back in my 20’s that it gets old quickly if you need to raise/lower the rigging and mount/demount sails each time. Lots of climbing on/off the trailer and it’s even worse after a day on the water when you’re covered in sweat/sunblock and already had too much sun. If your situation allows parking with mast raised, you need to be concerned about the entire rig with trailer blowing over in storms.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024
Oday Oday22 Hudson, qc
Great advice. Thanks. I will definitely look into boat guides. And I'm thinking a tongue extension won't just make it easier to launch, but also put less weight on the car too.

From what I've seen the ramp has a lot of traction. Heavily grooved cement ramp. Id be leaving it all rigged up in parking, so the wear and tear from constantly rigging may not be an issue. Never thought about storms though. Something to keep in mind

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Subarus of that vintage have CVT transmissions are much different than a geared transmisson. I would ask this question on a Subaru forum. You will get better answers there rather than on this forum or from a dealer. Hopefully it will work for you.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Check out this thread -

I'm guessing your 2.5 OB will be maxed out. From a '22 OB XT owner

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Even ramps with bumps in the concrete can be slippery in the water. Keeping your vehicle's tires dry will help a lot. Be sure to have a second hand, or event better, a second tow vehicle on hand for the first few launches. What will you do if your current vehicle doesnt work out?