keel bolts

Aug 18, 2015
Oday 272 Dana Point
I am getting about a cup of water a day into my bilge. Eliminating all leak scenarios the conclusion is that the keel bolts have loosened. I am getting many explanations on what to do next. I had keel bolts tightened and painted 6 years ago and have sailed fairly regularly over those years.

1. tighten keel bolts while it sits in water
2. haul out and tighten keel bolts with possible patching/fabric glass/new paint
3. haul out, de-keel, re-do,go bankrupt

Any experience with this anyone?

picture one is current bilge/keel bolts
picture two is haul out 6 years ago with a known crack around keel/hull connection

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
picture two is haul out 6 years ago with a known crack around keel/hull connection
The most important item here is : exactly what was done for repairs 6 years ago, right down to the sealant used in the crack.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You seem to already know what to try and the order in which they should be done. Ensuring the keel bolts are properly torqued is definitely the first (and cheapest) choice.

Aug 18, 2015
Oday 272 Dana Point
The most important item here is : exactly what was done for repairs 6 years ago, right down to the sealant used in the crack.
good point.....I believe six years ago I only tightened keel bolts on the haul out and had a few coats of paint put on..

Aug 18, 2015
Oday 272 Dana Point
You seem to already know what to try and the order in which they should be done. Ensuring the keel bolts are properly torqued is definitely the first (and cheapest) choice.
another good point and I think you are on to something by just going least invasive to the wallet at first and building up from there

the shipyard told me that trying to tighten keel bolts while boat is still in water is worthless, but maybeI I will invest in torque wrench and proper socket and give it a spin

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Keel bolts can be properly torqued only when the boat is hauled and the weight of the boat is on the keel.

If you try to tighten the keel bolts in the water the weight of the keel will give a false reading, as you will be trying to lift the weight of the keel as the bolt is tightened.

Once the boat is hauled and blocked, clean the bilge, loosen one bolt at a time and retorque to the manufacturer's specs using a good quality torque wrench. Don't waste money on some cheap piece of crap with dubious calibration.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
IMO you have a serious crack which will require serious remediation.

1695567678084.png

At a minimum, I can see retorquing on the hard, grinding out the surface of the crack in a V, sealing, and then several coats of fiberglass. The one thing I can't see is how to get rid of the moisture around the bolts before you seal it up.

Any idea how much further this extends :

1695568063584.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Eagle Eye @Ralph Johnstone has identified a potential problem. Notice the glass on the right side of the bilge is different from the left side. Also notice the the glass in the area Ralph identified is cracked on both sides and it looks like the glass was laid on top of the painted surface.

This makes me wonder if the boat was run hard aground as this is the kind of damage one would expect from the keel being jammed up in the back of the keel sump.

It is past time to haul the boat and more fully evaluate the hull, the keel joint and the keel for evidence of grounding an a poor repair.

Aug 18, 2015
Oday 272 Dana Point
great observations from all, thank you

bottom line is this probably needs addressed sooner than later with a professional, upclose eye at the shipyard

i will check back later and let you know outcomes form there and what that laundry list will look like

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
My only question is: why was this posted on the Catalina 275 forum? I had an answer unique to C275s until I realized it's not a C275.

Aug 18, 2015
Oday 272 Dana Point
great question......my dyslexia must have kicked in and I didn't even realize it was the wrong model for the wrong forum.....my apologies

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
My only question is: why was this posted on the Catalina 275 forum? I had an answer unique to C275s until I realized it's not a C275.
great question......my dyslexia must have kicked in and I didn't even realize it was the wrong model for the wrong forum.....my apologies
This thread has now found its proper home, in the "Ask an O'Day Owner." Sport of like the prodigal son. :)