Jolly Roger- legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Other CS27 Toronto
Jolly Roger- Can someone explain......

what the big interest in flying it is? Being fairly new (5 years) to keelboat sailing I sometimes see it but I have never talked to a boater flying it. Kevin

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Still no definite answer

Illegal to me would mean that one could incur a fine or jail time for doing it or that someone with governmental authority could force you to take it down at the point of a gun. Maybe Gord would know - that is if he is still speaking to me... Any Coasties or other LEO types on here?

Feb 1, 2006
Beneteau 361 Chicago
The Pirate Inside

We all have a little bit of Pirate inside us. Thats why we like to fly the old Skull & Cross Bones! The attraction is a life on the sea with no limitations, of course we sailors in today's era leave out the plunder and pillage part.

S

Steve

Here is Info

I don't have a definitive answer either, but here is a website that says it has "Flag Laws in the US." Looks like some state have specific prohibitions and I would guess that if the Jolly Roger was specifically listed, that it would be considered a Novilty Flag -- like the fish, beet, martini glass, etc. Hope this ifo is helpful -- I at least found it interesting.

B

Brian

Have we forgotten the "Jolly" in Jolly Roger??

Fellow Sailors, we have lost our humour.Anyone ever seen a sailboat flying a S&C that intended harm to anyone?? We had a a dockmate that flew the flag to indicate that the Admiral was on board,which was an indication of a very rocky relationship that ended in divorce. His favourite saying was that his relationship was like seasicknes, both very funny, but only in retrospect.Similarly, the wine glass pennant was an open invitation for a drink. After many voyages in the Caribbean, never saw the S & C flown anywhere, this was explained by many sailors that the real pirates had moved to shore and were now operating marinas. I'll bet that the pennant with the georgeous lady means that the girlfriend is on board. Long may your big jib draw well!

Status
Not open for further replies.