I bought a little sailboat at the used car lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale_K

Oct 17, 2008
Vagabond 14 - Hot Springs Village
My first post. I live in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas and I saw a little boat in the back of the used car lot and noticed it was a sailboat, a Vagabond 14. I've sailed it a few times in the largest of the community lakes and had a blast. I've found a Holder/Vagabond group on Yahoo but there looks to be much more activity on this site.

Here's a picture of the boat in the driveway the day I raised the sails for the first time. Since then I've spiffed it up a little by washing the sails in the bathtub and using a LOT of Meguiar's oxidizer remover (that stuff is a miracle). Also Davis FSR.

This is the lake I've been sailing on. There are several others in Hot Springs Village but this is the biggest.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Dale, is this the lil' sailboat that was manufactured in AR by Monarch boats? Great deal. I used to have a Hobie and we dragged it to Hot Springs once or twice. Have fun. If you ever haul up to NW Arkansas, look us up at Beaver Lake Sail Club.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
That looks like a perfect boat for the lake you are sailing on and since it is a trailer sailor it won't cost you all your arms and legs.
It is nearly the same as the Holder 14' isn't it? I have sailed the Holder somewhere and it is a fun boat. I am curious how much the used car lot charged you for the boat?
Looks great. Enjoy.

Dec 23, 2007
catalina catalina22 lake tillery NC
Welcome aboard

Dale, there are alot of great people here that are more than willing to help and a great boat you have as well as the car in the garage:). I really like your lake also, I love to sail in lakes like that. Alan

Jun 5, 2004
- - Eugene, OR
Cool

Now all you have to watch out for is 3ft-itis. Welcome to sailing.
Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Dale_K

Oct 17, 2008
Vagabond 14 - Hot Springs Village
No, that's not my house in the bottom picture. I stole the pic from the Hot Springs Village web site. My house is far more modest but it's still pretty nice - right on the 16th fairway. This is 50ft out my back door looking back toward the tee....

The golf course houses are a dime a dozen in this community and the expensive houses are on the lakes. There are 8 golf courses and about the same number of lakes.

The boat is identical to a Holder 14. I think it was also sold by Hobie for a brief period. I got the boat, motor (2hp Johnson) and trailer for $800. The motor runs great after I cleaned out a little crud in the carburetor. The trailer needed new tires and lights but even after all the expenses and registration fees I have less than $1,000 in it. It's small enough that I can step the mast and sail single handed. The little motor makes it easy since I can putt away from the dock (and back again when I'm done).

There is a far bigger lake nearby - Lake Ouachita, which is 40,000 acres but I haven't tried the Vagabond there yet.

Dan H

Oct 9, 2005
Catalina C25 SW Michigan
Nice going Dale,

That boat looks like a ton of fun!

No one can say they didn't see you coming with those sails. :)
Dan

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Nice boat... looks a lot like the O'Day Javelin that my friends just bought this past fall.

May 31, 2009
2 Sailboat Lake 'o the Pines, TX
Monarch Sailboats

Dale, is this the lil' sailboat that was manufactured in AR by Monarch boats? Great deal. I used to have a Hobie and we dragged it to Hot Springs once or twice. Have fun. If you ever haul up to NW Arkansas, look us up at Beaver Lake Sail Club.
I see you mentioned Monarch Sailboats. I bought one near Lake Ouachita, AR last year. We had a mishap with one of the dagger boards (it has two) I need some input on the mechanics of putting the dagger board back into its slot. The 'pin' or bolt holding the board in place was lost and the board fell out on the road. We've got the board. Just need to know how it goes back together.

lpohl

Mar 9, 2010
vagabond model 14 iowa
Dale,
Enjoyed your posts on the Vagabond 14. Just bought one last fall (moved up from a Sunfish). Can you advise me on selection of an outboard motor? What length shaft works best - 15" or 20"? Is 2.5 hp strong enough? Many thanks.

Lee

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
With trailer and motor (and pretty sails!) that's a good score, Dale.

Lee, I believe 2 or 2.5 HP would be just fine. Most dinghy sailors on small lakes will just use oars when the wind dies, so a little motor is a bonus.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
With trailer and motor (and pretty sails!) that's a good score, Dale.

Lee, I believe 2 or 2.5 HP would be just fine. Most dinghy sailors on small lakes will just use oars when the wind dies, so a little motor is a bonus.
Oars???????? when the wind died on my Laser I just laid on the deck and paddled it like a surfboard... heh, heh. I use to keep a canoe paddle on the Nacra when I took it on a lake, cause the wind could (and did) die quite unexpectedly. Sitting on one side paddling, with the tiller extension in my lap, I could make pretty good time.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Welcome Aboard, Dale.
Looks like a great little boat to start out on. Before 2-foot-itis started in, I started out smaller(11ft) then skipped the 14 and went to 17ft Oday style. I recently picked up a 2nd smaller boat for use when water levels were too low in my lake for the 21 or wanted to go someplace else for only a daysail.
Great looking Golf course, too. Golf and Sailing are competitors for the same kind of days. Since I've never lost a passenger on the boat, but lost dozens of balls on fairways like the one shown, I guess I'm a better sailor than golfer... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.