"Hunter smile"

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ted

I took a look at an H450 last week. It was on dry storage. The keel to hull joint had some peeling at the front and back. Broker attributed it to flexing. I was later talking to a competing brand broker and he called it the 'hunter smile', common on hunter boats & not a big concern. I would have expected a competing dealer to take a shot at Hunter if possible but he said it was not a big deal. I'm not convinced. How many of you with late model hunters, this one was a 2000 model year, have some flaking or peeling along the keel/hull joint?

K

Keith

No big deal

I bought a 31 with the "KEEL SMILE" I had it fixed and have had no probelms. Everyone I talked to before I bought said don't worry about it. The guy that fixed said he wouldn't even fix it but I wanted it right.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Ted, I was hauled out at the Port of Pt. Townsend

in April. Icon pulled in for a quick dressing of her bottom. You know of Icon, right? She was in Cruising World recently. VERY LARGE racer. Anyway, I checked out the bulb on her keel. Yep, smiling. It's no big deal. But if you want to prevent it, glass-in the keel. Lots of work but that'll stop it.

tks

May 25, 2004
Hunter 340 Dana Point, CA
Double-sided smile

My 1997 340's smile started to "work" itself around to the other side of the keel (which I thought water was starting to weep through the keel bolts) so I had it fixed last winter. $1500 of yard work, but I feel it was worth it (no more salt water in the bilge).

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 450 Magothy R., MD, Chesapeake Bay
Ted do not let it bother you!

We have a 2000 h450, We have traveled over 12,900 km along the east coast and Bahamas. We have the "smile" on the front leading edge about 3 feet long. It has not changed in 5 years. We have talked to different Hunter Dealers / people about fixing the joint crack where the "LEAD" keel joins the hull. They tell me that it can be removed, but for a waste of time & money. As a side note the keel bolts were checked and are tight. Due to the way the keel is attached to the hull, flexing or groundings may cause the appearance. But you are doing no damage by leaving it as is. The way Hunters are built, water to the bolts is unlikely. Also we maintain a completely dry bilge. So water through the bolts would be noticed. Good Luck, Gordon on Utopia III, a h450

C

Captn Dare

Smile

Probably not a big deal and fairly common on any boat with an external keel. If you cruise the various owners sites you'll hear about a Catalina smile, Pearson smile ect.. Lead and fiberglass flex, not to mention expand and contract differently so sooner or later you'll start to see where the two materials meet. Hunter molds most of their hulls with a stub keel of fiberglass onto which the lead portion is bolted. This allows the boats to have a functional bilge. Some of the European builders don't do this and instead fasten the keel up flush against the bottom of the hull. In this case the smile is still there, it's just not as noticeable. That being said, a crack is probably normal but a gap that you could put a knife in should probably be looked at. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.