Hunter 380 Refrigeration

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Hunter 380 Daytona Beach, Fl
Can I please have a suggestion as to the best refrigeration to add to my 1999 Hunter 380? I would like a unit that works on shorre power at the dock, or battery power at anchor with solar charging.

Thank you

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Nothing. I am the third owner and there has never been refrigeration on the boat

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Seems strange, they came from the factory with a water cooled or air cooled system that had plates in the freezer with a fan to cool the fridge. Do you have the OEM freezer and fridge boxes that open upwards with two holes between the two and a drain hole in the fridge?

Do you have a breaker marked refrigerator?

DC fridges have gotten easier to install. The compressor would go under the starboard settee. Youll need holes in the plastic seat box (facing down, out of sight) to vent the hot air. A hole in the freezer would lead the pipes to the plates. Nowdays, you can buy a precharged kit with self sealing connections.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Can I please have a suggestion as to the best refrigeration to add to my 1999 Hunter 380? I would like a unit that works on shorre power at the dock, or battery power at anchor with solar charging.

Thank you
Our 1991 boat came with an Adler Barbour brand 12DC fridge and separate freezer. They do a wonderful job of keeping beer cold and making ice. No reason that I can think of why you would want/need dual power operation. Whether on the hook or connected to shore power, the DC unit will always work.

Many things to consider before adding refrigeration to your boat; does your boat have a cooler box now, have you used it, what did you use to keep food chilled, how well did it work, etc., etc., etc.

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Sorry for the slow response.....I am still working, unforfunately. Evidently, in 1999, refrigeration was an option that the first owner did not pick. It has the 2 coolers boxes....top access...with the hole between them. In the 25 years since production, I have to think there have been many improvements so I want to install the most efficient option now. My retirement trips from Florida to Maine, Keys and Bahamas is now fairly close so I want to get this done. Obviously choice of batteries and recharging will be important as well.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Tom