Hunter 306 Sea Hood Removal

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Hunter 306 571 Westernport Vic
Rather than keep my previous "fresh water leak" post going I thought I'd make a new specific thread. As per the other thread, we've started getting fresh water in the bilge and it's definitely related to rain and/or over-enthusiastic hosing over the sliding hatch. We've had plenty of storms in previous years with no leaks, so this is a new development on our beloved 306. Either something rotting, some caulking getting old or something blocked (spiders abound in our marina so a likely culprit). I'd like to address this sooner than later before liners etc start to rot.

I'm aware many have just put a cover over the sliding hatch to resolve it, an admittedly simple work around. But I also wondered if anyone has managed to remove and replace the sea hood on these to locate and solve the problem at source. I've seen images on this forum of older Hunters with sea hoods removed which are somewhat helpful but thought I'd ask if anyone has done this with a 306 or similar years/models which I suspect are similar. While my optimistic self looks at the screws and wants to believe I simply unscrew them, lift the sea hood off, fix the problem and put it back, I know life is never that simple and I don't want to start something that I wish I had not!

Any and all insights very welcome, thanks!

Robert
2004 Hunter 306 "Charisma", Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Last edited: