Hunter 27 Edge Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge St Clair Shores
I checked the manual, the boats manual reads like a comic book, not very technical. The toilets manula is a little ambiguose too. I went back and under to where the holding tank is but there is no valve to be seen other than for the ballast tank. A third white house runs into the head compartment from somewhere and is obviously meant to supply water but I can find the other end of it where the valve or thru-hull. I'll keep reading the books, over and over, but for now this has me stumped.
Have you found it yet? I had a chance to look at my boat and the valve for the head is in the battery compartment next to the rudder well, and it is labeled.

E

Enigma

OK I will look thanks. Tried to take her out last evening in 1-3 ft waves with 20 knots of wind. She didnt do so well. The centerboard may be weighted and the ballast tank was full of course; but the 3 ft waves rolled around pretty good so I turned back. I guess she's just not meant for those conditions. Lake Michigan can be a nasty witch sometimes.

Feb 3, 2009
OK I will look thanks. Tried to take her out last evening in 1-3 ft waves with 20 knots of wind. She didnt do so well. The centerboard may be weighted and the ballast tank was full of course; but the 3 ft waves rolled around pretty good so I turned back. I guess she's just not meant for those conditions. Lake Michigan can be a nasty witch sometimes.
Did you get a sail up?

E

Enigma

No Sail was up, but I did find that head bowl intake. Buried down next to the batteries like you said, damn near impossible to reach. THANKS !!!

E

Enigma

Head

Yes it all works fine, man they sure hid that valve down there and I swear it wasnt located in the "owners manual" of the boat. She seems a little tender in 2 ft waves and wind over 10 knots, a lot of rolling. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a light air sailing boat since its a hybrid? Of course I am a relatively new sailor as well.

Feb 3, 2009
She seems a little tender in 2 ft waves and wind over 10 knots, a lot of rolling. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a light air sailing boat since its a hybrid? Of course I am a relatively new sailor as well.
Is that with board/rudder down and sails up? Mine with the board/rudder down, and sails up is very stable in those conditions. Under power it is a typical power boat and it rolls with the waves, but the board and sail dampen everything out.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
If the guy is a novice, then 20k of wind is a hand full. Best to be a little more cautious to begin with until some experience is gained but I do agree that having board down, tank full and some sails up helps with stability.

E

Enigma

Yes, I'm a novice still. Have only been sailing 3 summers now. But I did have the tank full and baord down, I just chickened out and went back into the harbor before I put sails up. So I didnt know if sails up would make it seem less rolley-polley.

Feb 3, 2009
Yes, I'm a novice still. Have only been sailing 3 summers now. But I did have the tank full and baord down, I just chickened out and went back into the harbor before I put sails up. So I didnt know if sails up would make it seem less rolley-polley.
Having any sail up would help dampen out the roll of the boat, but until you are really comfortable it is a good idea not to scare yourself or your passengers. I have found that this boat sails very nice in about 8 knots as long as the direction is constant with no gust. But that is a rare occasion. When I go out and the winds are questionable I will put my sails up in phases; starting with the jib. If that is good I will furl the jib and put the main up, and if the boat and my wife can handle more I will put the jib up again. Also, don't hessitate to reef the main or sail with a partially furled jib, at least until you are confortable.

E

Enigma

sails

Thanks, you've been alot of help! I just wish Hunter would have run the Main halyard back to the cockpit and one other little thing....why no dome light over the nav desk when their is one in the center of the cabin and over the galley. Go figure. If you ever want to trade model stories Im at : duneoaks@comcast.net

-Geoff

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
The Hunter edge with the trailer is in excess of 6000 lbs which falls into the class 4 tow range.
This is incorrect. Hunter quotes the weight of the Edge as 4920lb including the trailer and ALL optional equipment like the 75HP motor (320lbs), fuel tank with fuel, marine head, 20gal water tank, etc.

I have a Toyota 4Runner which is rated for 5000lbs and has a class 3 hitch. I towed my Edge over 200 miles from the dealer I bought it from with no problem whatsoever. In fact I was able to pass other vehicles with power to spare.

A 5000lb capacity and class 3 hitch are sufficient to tow the Edge.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Thanks for the honest opinion, sounds like the boat for me. I have a Mac 26X and have had a blast with it for the last 4 years, however, I was never really impressed with the lack of quality for creature features and sail hardware. Hunter boats have always been in my opinion several steps above the Mac in quality and design. I have been looking to upgrade to a better trailerable sail boat and with you felt the Oden was way to expensive for what it is. Time to sell the Mac and get the Edge!
The difference in quality, fit and finish is exactly what convinced me to sell my 26M and buy an Edge. I definitely feel like it was worth the extra $ for the sizeable difference in these aspects of the boat. That and although it is only 6in longer and 6in wider the Edge seems roomy and palatial compared with the 26M because IMO it has a better layout.

I only wish Hunter had announced it sooner since if they had I would have waited the few months and just gotten the Edge. As a result I took a hit on selling the 26M but I'm so much happier with the Edge than with the Mac. In my book this was a no brainer because I value quality. Unlike some Mac owners I've encountered who say things like "a MacGregor is never finished there is always something to work on" (which I consider as a bit of self delusion meant to justify in their own minds all the work they have to do on their Macs) I prefer sailing on my boat to working on it. I didn't have to spend even a fraction of the time I've spent on the 26M on the West Wight Potter 19 I owned for over 6 years.

So far the only time I've spent on the Edge is adding options I chose to add myself to save a little $ to compensate a little bit for the bath I was taking on selling off the 26M. Even at that I have spent only a small fraction of the amount of time on my Edge that I had to spend on the Mac.

Guess I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person to feel this way and perhaps may not be the only person to have owned a Mac and ditched it in favor of the Edge.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
The difference in quality, fit and finish is exactly what convinced me to sell my 26M and buy an Edge. I definitely feel like it was worth the extra $ for the sizeable difference in these aspects of the boat. That and although it is only 6in longer and 6in wider the Edge seems roomy and palatial compared with the 26M because IMO it has a better layout.

I might agree on the interior of the Edge having a difference in quality as this was something I saw first hand at the boat show. The Edge was roomier and had a more finished feel in the iterior with the extra wood finishes.
Not so on the exterior, I got the distinct impression that the mast and rigging were some sort of after thought. There were absolutely no sail trim controls, no jib track to adjust the clew of the jib forward and aft, just a goofey little pulley block bolted into the deck for the jub sheet to thread through to the cockpit, definitely not a quality set-up nor is the cheap roller furler they supply, I'd rather buy a decent aftermarket one.
There is absolutely no genoa track on the cockpit combing and I doubt the combing was built strong enogh to accomodate installing one, you are stuck with only a jib, too bad.
No traveller!:eek: My bad what were they thinking, my 26M has one. I hardly think that there is any even remote possibilty that the Edge has better quality rigging. The Edge was conceived as 70% powerboat and 30% sailboat whereas the MacGregor was conceived as 40% powerboat and 60% sailboat, huge difference in conceived design strategies, The Mac is simply a superior sailing vessel.

I only wish Hunter had announced it sooner since if they had I would have waited the few months and just gotten the Edge. As a result I took a hit on selling the 26M but I'm so much happier with the Edge than with the Mac. In my book this was a no brainer because I value quality. Unlike some Mac owners I've encountered who say things like "a MacGregor is never finished there is always something to work on" (which I consider as a bit of self delusion meant to justify in their own minds all the work they have to do on their Macs) I prefer sailing on my boat to working on it. I didn't have to spend even a fraction of the time I've spent on the 26M on the West Wight Potter 19 I owned for over 6 years.

So far the only time I've spent on the Edge is adding options I chose to add myself to save a little $ to compensate a little bit for the bath I was taking on selling off the 26M. Even at that I have spent only a small fraction of the amount of time on my Edge that I had to spend on the Mac.

Guess I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person to feel this way and perhaps may not be the only person to have owned a Mac and ditched it in favor of the Edge.

All boats power or sail, Edge or Mac require some modifications to suit the individual buyer, there is no one shoe fits all boat. We all do things to our boats to suit are own individual needs. The Edge requires major work to accomodate a Genoa sail, how about a spinnaker? The Edge is no more a finished product than any other boat, they all require the addition of electronics, canvas, some extra custom rigging, creature comforts, the list goes on and these are options we choose to add ourselves like you do. They are not mandatory, just optional.
There is no way on God's green earth the Edge justifies the huge increase in price over a Mac for the slightly better interior and vastly inferior rigging and sail set up. You could not give me the Edge for free, I'd rather pay for a Mac.
Oh, and one more thing, take a look at YachtWorld listings to get an idea of how much more sailboat you can get for the money you spend on the Hunter Edge, a lot more sailboat is available out there.

The Hunter boats are built from the inside out, first they build a salon, then a head, then a galley, then a berth. Then they stretch a contorted hull around this interior hoping it will somehow move through the water, then they go about trying to figure out how to afix some rigging onto it to make it appear like a sailboat, but we all know the Edge can't sail. Hunter is in the business of building floating condo's not sailbaots.

PS, The dealer at the boatshow was who I got the weight specs from, hence my recommendation for a heavier tow vehicle.

Jul 6, 2009
Macgregor 2001 26X Dry Storage
Taking on water possible head problem........

There is a valve that draws outside water for the toilet; check your manual to see which one it is. Also, concerning the valves - put lock-tite on all of the nuts holding the handles on. One of mine fell off, and the others were loose. Let me know what Hunter says about the toilet, because I am not totally sure that mine is working correctly.
Hi guys, I got a question for you all, I have just purchased a new used 2009 Edge and have a leak problem. Water is accumluating aft next to the holding tank for the toilet. The through valve is next to the tank ( opposite side of the batteries which are on the starboard side). Seems that the water (about 1 1/2 gal.) is originating around the head and holding tank as the carpet in the head is wet. Under sail we discovered this on a port tack healing to starboard, water was under the sink and cabinet like crazy. All through holes don't appear to be leaking although the intake valve for the head could be wet, can't tell yet as we just discoverd the water on our maiden voyage. This boat has sat for a year, could sealant dry up over this amount of time not in use? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Boat did sail fantastically, motored like a speed boat and over all just what I expected...........just did not expect the water!

Feb 3, 2009
Re: Taking on water possible head problem........

I did have a couple of minor problems with leaks on my boat, but they had nothing to do with the hull. The first was the companion way; I had to weatherstrip the hinge on the overhead cover and the top slat. Whenever it rained I would have water pooled up around the galley and/or head. The next slight leak was cause by the ballast tank inspection cover - I just didn't have it tight enough. When the boat healed I would have water on the floor. Because of the leaks the wood under the head has deteriorated and come apart, and right now it is in the dealer getting that fixed. That is it for my leaks - I hope this helps.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
All boats power or sail, Edge or Mac require some modifications to suit the individual buyer, there is no one shoe fits all boat. We all do things to our boats to suit are own individual needs.
so true

The Edge requires major work to accomodate a Genoa sail,
I took the MacFurler with the 150% Genoa I had on it off the 26M before I sold it. With the simple addition of a Johnson Quick Release Shroud Lever that cost me $75 I had the thing installed and working in minutes. Now I really don't like the MacFurler because I find that the drum line doesn't wind well onto it and is constantly binding, but it was paid for and given how much of a loss I ended up taking on the 26M I figured I'd keep it for now.

So I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the Edge needs major work to accomodate a Genoa. That's not my experience at all...

There is no way on God's green earth the Edge justifies the huge increase in price over a Mac for the slightly better interior and vastly inferior rigging and sail set up. You could not give me the Edge for free, I'd rather pay for a Mac.
Gee wish I'd known sooner, I'd have sold you mine :)

I personally don't think the Edge's interior is slightly better than the Mac's. I think it is vastly superior. For a boat only 6 inches longer and 6 inches wider the amount of interior room in it compared to the Mac is IMO significant.

But it's not just me and my wife who think this. From the first time they set foot on the Edge my family and all of our friends who have been on both boats with us unanimously expressed the unsolicited opinion that the Edge was much more roomy both in the interior, and even more importantly in the cockpit.

We've had no problem going out on the Edge with 6 people. Everyone was able to sit comfortably and get up and move around the boat at will. You try putting 6 people in a 26M and the only way anyone can move around the cockpit is by crawling over each other. Likewise inside the cabin you need to do the airline aisle scooch to get by one another.

So as someone who has owned both boats I heartily disagree with you on this.

BTW
If you're such a huge MacGregor fan then why are you hanging around in a forum for discussion of the Hunter Edge bashing the boat? You don't see me hanging around in the MacGregor Sailors forum bashing on the 26M and dishing about all the bad experiences I had with it and how MacGregor refused to stand behind their warranty or compel the dealer who sold me the boat to do so.

but we all know the Edge can't sail.
hmm, I sure didn't notice that. In fact I found my Edge handles a lot better than the 26M. Unlike MacGregor's rinky dink daggerboard the Hunter's swing keel does a lot better job of keeping the boat from slipping across the line of travel when the wind is abeam. The extra weight wrt to the overall freeboard means that it comes about better. And I've gotten my Edge as fast as 7.5mph in a 15mph (that's true speed over ground measured on a GPS) breeze without really trying. I never got the 26M to go over 6.6mph.

So if you're telling me the Edge can't sail well once again my experiences as someone who has owned both boats are quite contrary to that sweeping assertion and it makes me think that etiher you've actually never been on an Edge or perhaps you have some vested interest in promoting MacGregor's.

PS, The dealer at the boatshow was who I got the weight specs from, hence my recommendation for a heavier tow vehicle.
All the specs, including the actual towing weight with *ALL* options including fuel (at 48lbs for 6 gal), potable water (160lb for 20 gal in the optional tank) and the 75HP Evinrude (which weighs about 320lb if I recall the Evinrude spec correctly) are listed on Hunter's website and in the glossy data sheet they hand out at the boat shows. They indicate it as 4920lbs when fully loaded, which covers quite most of the heavier items one might add to a boat.

In addition, I don't think too many people tow their boats with the fuel onboard and their potable water tanks full. I know I don't. So that saves about 200lbs right there. So it's quite clear that the Edge can be towed with a Class 3 hitch and vehicle of 5000lb towing capacity. Still doesn't stop me from trying to convince my wife to let me buy the Porsche Cayenne

ttfn

Jul 6, 2009
Macgregor 2001 26X Dry Storage
Well stated........having had a Mac 26X for the last 4 years and going to the Edge, my head has less bumps on it from banging on the inside of the cabin I have room to move about the cockpit, the boat sails faster than the 26X, comes to plane faster than the 26X and really is just plain a much nicer boat through out.

Quick statement for the record, the 26M sails better than the 26X, much faster. That being said for design and creature features..........why would you put a head so far forward you need to get on your knees to get to it? Amazingly poor thought on the interior design......Roger what were you thinking when you came up with this?

Ray

1ged1

Is the steering heavy or does it loosen up

Interesting to read from the EDGE owners. I am in the final steps of buying a trailer sailor and would appreciate your advice. After a recent test sail of the EDGE I finsihed the session disappointed with the speed of the boat and the weight of the steering. This leaves me to wonder if in fact a Catalina 250C (or similar) would be a better boat for my family (wife and 3 little girls). I dont really intend to pull tubes or wakeboards so the 75HP outboard is one of those added benefits but not a must have. I really want a comfortable trailer sailer though and the others I have looked at don't seem to have the creature comfort of the EDGE and I doubt they sail markable better anyway.

I have sailed for years but the idea is to intoduce my non sailing family to sailing using a fun lifestyle boat. I understand there is no magic answer but I would apprecaite any advice you can all give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.