Hunter 1999 310 Tachometer

Jul 8, 2020
Hunter 310 Kings Point
Good Morning,
Just completed a full electrical refit after encountering a low voltage problem that we suffered with for 2 seasons after a possible lightning strike. Can anyone help with the correct replacement Tachometer for Yanmar 2GM 20F. I read a few posts that recommended VDO but looks like the brand is not available anymore.

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Do you know if your tach is wired to a sensor on the flywheel or wired to the alternator? If you can't find the exact tach, most have an adjustment screw on the back to get within the alternator or hall effect sensor range based on your engine configuration.

Catalina direct is a great source for tachs / gauges / sensors / etc....
Instruments (catalinadirect.com)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here is a page that talks about the tachometer. It counts the number of flywheel teeth, probably 97 on your engine.. There are a few companies that have programmable tachs that read pulses and can be programmed for your flywheel. ya need the 4000 RPM max thing so it can be read at the lower diesel speeds.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I read a few posts that recommended VDO but looks like the brand is not available anymore.
You are quite right. Contact VDO manufacturing and see what the next iteration of the VDO 333-163 is. This is the unit which I used as a replacement quite a number of years ago and it's been doing a perfect job.

Don't worry about sensing from the flywheel, as the VDO 333-163 and later models will sense all output signals including flywheel pulse, alternator, Hall effect and can even be attached to your pacemeaker if that helps.

Everybody sells VDO so do a wide search for VDO sales and nickel and dime yourself into the cheapest one you can find. This one came out to my cheapest at something like $99.00.

1713980260013.jpeg

Far cheaper than any marine supplier. Now that I think of it, VDO was my ONLY choice as it was an exact fit for the original unknown tach supplied by the Hunter factory.

Attachments