Hunter 170

Mar 3, 2024
O'Day Daysailer II Candlewood lake
Hello,

I have been looking for quite some time for a daysailer to get my avid youngsters more time on the water. And myself to boot.

I live in CT. My kids have been sailing in Palm Beach on opti's, and 420s. And also up here through the last few summers since moving. Having been members of Palm Beach Sailing club and summer camps on a lake here and away camps at Mystic seaport.

My requirements are, enough room for 4, able to sail single on occasion, trailerable, easy handled and also potential to have some fun and speed on occasion.

Also, I am in the market for something used, that is popular enough to resell if we upsize to an overnight cabin.

So I apologize for the long winded explanation.

I have found what is described as an excellent condition hunter 170, 2008.

So I like the idea of trailerable with a quick setup.
Fast, but I have read it requires one to be on their toes.

My main question is the horror stories of the cracking I have read about....is this issue confined to certain years ?

And is there any reason you would steer me away from this choice ?

I would really like something like a beneteau first 18se, with a small cabin to get the kids out the rain/sun and even sleep overnight....but it's outside my budget...maybe next purchase...lol

I have read quite a bit on the forums..but feel my needs and experience may have someone offer a suggestion I hadn't thought about.

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Welcome to SBO.

If the kids have been sailing Opta's and 420s then they have been doing some racing. Getting a one design boat that has an active class association and a racing program might be more attractive. A Flying Scot fits that bill nicely. The Class is very family oriented and has a nice blend of competitive sailors, but not the type of folks you see in the highly competitive sport boat classes.

As a boat, the Scot is stable, roomy, and simple to sail. It can get up on a plane be exciting but manageable. There is also a good resale market and fleets all over.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a 170. I think they all crack. I have read that later models can be repaired with bondo/fiberglass but don't quote me. I have an epoxy that is worth a try.

You can sail solo just expect more work. Stepping the mast is the biggest problem unless you have these.
Small 7 Hole Quick-Release Shroud Lever

The 170 is agile and has little ballast. I found this out the hard way as I was telling a friend that using the jam cleat was a bad idea.

Jan 11, 2014
A recent issue of Practical Sailor has a section on plastic and how to repair it. West Systems G-Flex was suggested as on option for certain types of plastic. Ordinary epoxy is too stiff and will crack and peel off.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
A recent issue of Practical Sailor has a section on plastic and how to repair it. West Systems G-Flex was suggested as on option for certain types of plastic. Ordinary epoxy is too stiff and will crack and peel off.
Thanks. This epoxy is in my home shower. I filled a crack 2 years ago and takes abuse well. If successful, I'll post the details.

Mar 3, 2024
Great list of other options. I have always liked the look and reputation of the O'Day.

Of course I am limited on whats available.
I was going to join a local club here in CT last year, but was awaiting a spine fusion, but I am determined to not let this summer go by off the water.

I have read about the hunter boats reputation here on this forum. But I am not looking for a cruiser, just a trailer able fairly cheap way to get everyone day sailing locally, but the cracking gives me pause for thought on that boat. And as a layperson I quickly found that out, then potential sellability and the ability to upgrade could be affected.

I also was recommended the flying scot for all the reasons listed, and there's quite a few at my local club.

I didn't pursue club membership last year for the aforementioned back surgery. But perhaps a visit and a hope of getting out on a flying spot may help.

Thanks loads for the input.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
The ODay (Stuart) Mariner is a Rhodes 19ft with a small cabin. Since there were over 4000 made (and still being made), parts and used models are readily available, especially in the New England/New Jersey/New York area. Prices of decent condition are around the $3K range, less if you want to put more work into it, more if you want Stuart to rebuild one (or build new) for you. Fully retracting centerboard makes for easy launching and retrieval at the ramp. There is an active owners association (https://usmariner.org/) to help with support. 6ft+ cockpit is more generous than most 19ft boats (I can easily sleep in the cockpit), and decent beam and stability means you don't have to constantly be on the rail.

I was skeptical 2 years ago, but my Stuart Mariner is a near perfect choice for my local conditions. Great day sailing single-handed or with 3-4 others, decent camp cruising for 1-2. Beachable if desired. I trailered mine up to Connecticut for Mariner Class cruising on Long Island Sound.

There are other good boats, but the Mariner fit my specific constraints ($$, under 1500lbs to go on boat lift) better than any other.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, North Carolina

Mar 3, 2024
Thats an awesome suggestion. It sounds like it would fit my bill perfectly. You've hit all the salient points for me.

Mar 3, 2024
So, I went down the rabbit hole and really am quite taken with these O'Day boats, both the mariner and daysailer. I found one of each, in different places at different prices.

So in order of less price and distance, I am going to see the daysailer first.

I know it exists on here, probably a thousand fold.

But I keep getting an error when trying to search for common things to check when inspecting.

I hate to be that person who doesn't search, but honest guv, it isn't working when I try.

Can someone perhaps link me to a thread for common areas to inspect on this model.

Many thanks.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Here's one:

And two more:

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Here is your best source of info: Daysailer Class Association. The class association for the Mariner has valuable tips on what to look for. Also, the maintenance forums give an idea of what common problems are. Once I realized the Mariner was a top candidate, I spent the $15 for membership before I even owned the boat. Daysailer.org lists their membership at $35/year. Some of the content was available for free.

Fred W
Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Mar 3, 2024
Thanks to all for the resources. I got a wealth from the daysailer forum. Although I didn't have much time to process it all. As I bought the closer daysailer today :)

In excellent shape from someone who sails a lot, and was very knowledgeable.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks to all for the resources. I got a wealth from the daysailer forum. Although I didn't have much time to process it all. As I bought the closer daysailer today :)

In excellent shape from someone who sails a lot, and was very knowledgeable.
Let the fun begin! :beer:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like she's in good shape, too. Daysailers are nice because they're big enough and heavy enough to be pretty stable, but small and light enough to move when there isn't much wind. The centerboard makes it easy to explore places that other boats don't dare try and to pull up on beaches for picnics and hiking. You are going to have a great time with this boat.

Mar 3, 2024
Yes, I really am stoked to find such a perfect combination of sedate afternoons with the family and a little sportiness when myself and my pretty accomplished 12yr old is running the show lol.