How much rudder shaft Slop allowable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrankR

We have been looking at a Catalina 36 MKII lately. It is on the hard right now so it is easier to check hull, keel and rudder. It looks in pretty good condition. I plan on checking all internal hidden areas with flashlight and mirror soon. The only thing that bothers me so far is that the rudder shaft has about 1/8 - 3/16 inch of play in it when I grab it and shake the rudder. Is this normal or excessive?? -

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
Rudder play

That's about normal. It will tighten up when you take the slack out of the steering cables.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
How Much? Where?

If the rudder has lateral (side to side, fore to aft) movement then it is probably a worn rudder bearing and needs to be replaced. If the slack is in the rotation of the rudder then listen to the previous poster (Landsend). Any lateral slack should be fixed as a condition of the sale, especially if it is the bushing. It should also show up in the survey. Check with your yard for an estimate. It's very labor-intensive and requires the boat to be hauled.

F

FrankR

Play is lateral

The slack is lateral - side to side and fore to aft. There is enough of it to make noise when shaken. - thanks for the input. We will definately get a surveyor if it passes my initial go over.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Rudder movement

Frank, I would not consider that small amuont of lateral movement to be a problem as of yet. It could be the beginning of a worn rudder bearing, and if your surveyor thinks that it the case, it can become a negogiating issue with the price of the boat. It is not a reason not to buy the boat if everything else structurally and mechanically is fine Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.