How do I make a mast raising system?

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
I have a 1993 Hunter 19-2 and have most of the original parts less the gin pole itself. What I am looking for is a spec sheet on the original pole: length, fittings, diameter and thickness of material (aluminum I assume).

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
If you go to Youtube, there is a video of me lowering my mast on my Capri-18 with the factory mast raising system. Very simple and easy system. I should have some photos to share in my files, I'll have to look.

Great little boat, way over built sharing much of her parts with her big sister, the Capri-22.

Don

Nov 19, 2008
Here are some photos of the factory mast raising system from my Capri-18. The one photo shows the holes on the bottom portion of the mast where the gin-pole attached. There was a stainless steel folk that attached to the base of the mast. Another photo shows the holes near the halyard exit slots where the top of the baby stays attached. The baby stays keep the mast from falling to the side while raising or lowering the mast. The other photos show the lower mounts for the baby stays. These are identical to the ones I've seen on Macgregor boats. As you can see, I also used these mounts for a simple and cheap way to route the halyards back to the cockpit. Another photo shows the attachment of the gin-pole on the bow. Your better off attaching the bock and tackle to the bow fitting. This will give you a bit more leverage for the job, and then there is no need to drill additional holes in the boat. I use a snap-shackle on the bow fitting on our C-22. It serves two purposes, one for the gin pole block attachment, and the other for the tack of the jib. I would also recommend a cam cleat on the lower block, this way if something snags going up, you can cleat the line and fix the problem. I also installed a Johnson Quick lever on the back stay. It was left in the off position until the forestay was secured, then all I had to do was pull and pin the lever on the back stay and the rigging was all pulled tight and ready to go.

I have some photos from other projects on the Capri-18. What a GREAT little overlooked boat!

Hope that helps,

Don

Attachments

May 21, 2014
Lancer 27 Powersailer Tacoma Yacht Club
I have built a couple for my Northwest 21. Go to You Tube and type in Northwest 21 and it should take you to my channel. I created a short video around the last one that I built. Good luck, Don

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I used to raise my Clipper Marine 26's mast by just walking it up resting on my shoulder. Why can't that be done with masts for smaller boats? This method was easy and quick! Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
fellow with the Hunter 19 water ballast 1993, contact me re; mast raising via forum email as in a sense I designed that system

Look under archives for Jacdaw system of raising the Beneteau 235 mast. There are many tricks to raising but many forget about the sideways movement when going up which many masts are lost.

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Does it have roller furling? That can make it more difficult. A small 12 volt winch can make it a piece of cake.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Catalina dealer, I never recall a factory option for mast raising for the Capri 18 later called the Catalina 18. The best way I sold these boats was to install a mast raise system essential the way CaptDon has shown but a few explanations for a little easier with less time.

I chose mast bridle lower stays to control sideways movement with quick release stainless steel cable with T ball ends to fit into the mast eliminating stretch. The key folks is the attachment of anything on the deck of the boat must be in parallel with the mast always when coming down or positioned so it is in the middle of the mast when perpendicular to it.

I always used a bow eye style vs. eye strap for attachment of the mast raise system on the boat for strength as I found the eye strap in a couple of cases giving way.

As with the Hunters, the mainsheet system which had quick disconnects was used but the block with the cam cleat was fastened on the deck vs. the pole. This was done for safety as the line is under pressure when raising the mast and when attaching the forestay. I would always tell my customers use their shoe to release the line under tension to avoid the fingers getting caught in the cam cleat plus it was easier to pull at an angle upward and tended to catch easier. Regardless of how that block was attached, always keep a hand on that line and if you had to let the line go, always tie it off in the event the line came loose from the cam cleat; otherwise, the mast would go down.

As for furling which is why I advocated CDI, yes it was a little more had to be applied but even with the sail on, there were many boats I could raise the mast with the furler and sail attached to it well. The question of a toggle should be applied. It is a good idea but with proper instruction on how to handle the furler when going up or down, I never found a need for it and was not an issue; however, many do not know how to properly handle that and then there is a need for it.

One other thing with any mast raising with a furler, you have to make sure if there is a chain plate to attach to the aft hole in the chain plate. Regardless, the bottom drum cannot be binding on the forestay chain plate.

Just a few thoughts but some of this will be challenged.

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
I have a Potter 19. I think the mast weighs 25lbs, not more than thirty. I bought the mast raising system but only use the pulleys which came with it to bend the mast while connecting the fore stay. Generally I just stand on the cabin top and lift the mast by hand with out the mast raising system since hooking it up and taking it off again can add half a hour to launching. I'd suggest arranging the Gin pole so it can be quickly and easily attached.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I just bought a 2000 model year Catalina 18 and want to add on a mast raising system as I single hand a lot. Anyone out there have any knowledge on how to build one? Or, where to buy one? Thanks
For my O'Day 19, the mast is light enough for me to simply heft it. But I keep the jib halyard attached to the bow with the other end running through the cleat on the mast. This keeps enough tension on the mast so it doesn't slip.

patn44

Oct 3, 2008
Columbia , Catalina, Slipper 8.7 , 22, 17 Dog River, Mobile Bay
I just bought a 2000 model year Catalina 18 and want to add on a mast raising system as I single hand a lot. Anyone out there have any knowledge on how to build one? Or, where to buy one? Thanks

For that boat just stand on the cabin top facing aft, grasp the mast (after attaching to the mast step) and walk it up. I used to do it on my C22 and am female70 yrs old (not a wt lifter). If you want an assist, lead the jib line to the bow and attach to the trailer winch, have someone crank it up. stand on the top and keep the mast from going side to side. If you want more assist than that
make an A frame from two pieces of conduit bolted at the apex of the A. drill a hole in each of the poles at the base of the A. attach the base of each leg of the A to the eye bolt for the forward spreader. run the jib halyard to the top of the A while it is 'standing up' and run the winch strap to the A top as well. crank it up with the trailer winch. put a bungee on each of the A frame legs to keep the mast centered as it raises. I have raised my C22 mast many times single haded with this rig.

patn44

Oct 3, 2008
Columbia , Catalina, Slipper 8.7 , 22, 17 Dog River, Mobile Bay
For that boat just stand on the cabin top facing aft, grasp the mast (after attaching to the mast step) and walk it up. I used to do it on my C22 and am female70 yrs old (not a wt lifter). If you want an assist, lead the jib line to the bow and attach to the trailer winch, have someone crank it up. stand on the top and keep the mast from going side to side. If you want more assist than that
make an A frame from two pieces of conduit bolted at the apex of the A. drill a hole in each of the poles at the base of the A. attach the base of each leg of the A to the eye bolt for the forward spreader. run the jib halyard to the top of the A while it is 'standing up' and run the winch strap to the A top as well. crank it up with the trailer winch. put a bungee on each of the A frame legs to keep the mast centered as it raises. I have raised my C22 mast many times single haded with this rig.

ps. I made the gin pole.... too much trouble, above works faster/better.

Nov 19, 2008
We had a 1988 Capri-18 with the factory mast raising system. Worked very slick, and allowed me to raise and lower the mast safely by myself. Here is a link to a short video of me lowering the mast. Check with Catalina Direct, they might know more on the cost of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90K0AYD01OI

What a GREAT little boat, WAY overbuilt, and absolutely unsinkable,(like a Boston Whaler). Just don't know why there ain't more of them out there?

Don

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
gin pole 01a.jpg
I made this for my Catalina 22. No specs just a pix