Holding tank relocation?

MT28.5

Mar 5, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Dallas
Hello to all, sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed before, but here goes. I have a new to me 88' Hunter 28.5. I discovered this weekend that the holding tank is leaking which sounds very common for a 35 year old boat and stinks up the cabin and aft berth terribly! In the research I have done, sounds like a fair amount of cutting to get it out and refit a new one. So two part question: Seems like it would make some sense to relocate a new tank into the cavernous starboard settee, could even get a larger tank if needed. Part two would be to relocate the batteries to the old holding tank location and add a second house battery. Would appreciate any recommendations so I dont repeat anyones mistakes allowing me to make new ones to share with the group. Thank you

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Where is the head located in the boat? What's the make/model/approx age of the toilet? How far is the existing tank from it? H ow long a hose run would the settee location be? How long to the existing location? Straight runs? Or some uphill, downhill, over, under and around and through in either location?

Are there any other locations that might not cost you so much valuable storage space? A 28' boat doesn't have a whole lot to spare.

--Peggie

MT28.5

Mar 5, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Dallas
Hello Peggie and thank you for posting. The head is directly in front of the lazarette. Also I misspoke above I am looking at relocating the new holding tank to the lazette, not the settee. Agreed, cabin space is very limited. The Starboard lazarette is very large and only thing stored in there is old lines, bouys and hot water tank. Seem there would be plenty of space and much easier access to inspect and clean vent.

michael

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That seems like a good plan. But before you commit to it... take a look at this Plan B: an "MSD" portapotty
The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Defender has it and theirs is usually the low price,
Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD Toilet with MSD Fittings - Gray | Defender Marine

A bunch of forum members have MSD portapotties and love 'em...hopefully some will chime in here. But if you're still determined stick with toilet, tank and all their related maintenance and plumbing, I'll be gad to help you with that.

--Peggie

MT28.5

Mar 5, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Dallas
Hey Peggie, this is a wonderful option! I will measure the head space this weekend to see if it will fit, definitely like the idea of a larger and taller seat height. The bathroom is tiny as you can imagine on a 28.5' boat. Thank you so much for your input and quick responses.