Help installing A/C on a Hunter 33.5

May 31, 2004
- - Smith Mtn. Lake, Va.
I would like to install A/C on my just purchased Hunter 33.5 but I'm having trouble figuring out a good way. The Head being mid ship kind of eliminates the use of space next to water tank. The settee is not tall enough for most units I've found. Under the dining table is taken up by Waste tank and water heater.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Mount it on a shelf in the Port side aft locker. No need for ductwork as it should cool the entire boat from there with just one vent. Worked well on a 40.5 we owned.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would like to install A/C on my just purchased Hunter 33.5 but I'm having trouble figuring out a good way.
Any suggestions?
Had a 1988 Huunter33.5 that the boatyard did an AC installation. They constructed a shelf in the Starboard lazarette on which the self- contained unit was mounted. The output was directed to a single vent above the icebox thru the galley aft bulkhead. IMHO, the unit was not effective in cooling the boat. The salon & galley were cooled; however, the aft berth & V berth remained hot. Had to place a portable box fan to direct cool air into those spaces. I have seen photos, probably on SBO, that showed an enclosure constructed where the chart table is to house the unit, with separate vents to the aft berth and saloon/galley, & a duct leading into the forward areas. My present boat has vents in the v berth & aft berth as well as saloon/galley. The 3 vents do a much better job of cooling & heating the entire cabin.

Another option, although more expensive, is to install a Dometic/Cruiseair emerald series split system. Install a 16000btu condenser/compressor in the starboard lazarette and a 12000btu airhandler/evaporator to supply output to the galley/saloon (one vent) & another vent into the aft berth thru the athwartship bulkhead. Copper tubing would be run forward to a 4000btu airhandler to cool the forward V berth. More complex & expensive; however, it eliminates the need to run ducting to the forward areas in situations where there is insufficient space for ducting.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Sutric

Jun 24, 2021
Seafarer 26 Carlyle IL
The PO of out boat installed it under the nav table and ran 4" diameter flex venting to outlets in the aft cabin, two in the main salon and one in the Vee berth. It's nicely installed, and he constructed a nice surround for it. Of course, you can't sit at the nav table anymore but we sail on a lake so who cares.