Help identify companionway slide parts

Apr 23, 2020
Pearson 323 Gulfport, FL
I have a 1980 Pearson 323. Currently in the process of painting the deck. Thus, everything is being taken apart and put back together.

On both sides of the companionway, there are one inch wide by about a millimeter thick slats that it slides on. See attached pictures. Any idea what material they are made of or where to get replacements? I have seen nylon strips online, but they seem to max out at 24 inches, and are perhaps too thick. I've also seen teflon tape to use in this place. What is better?

Also -- It appears that the metal on the top of the track is aluminum. Any suggestions on restoring it? Sandpaper? Polishing?

Thanks.

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I don't know how thick it is, looks to be about 1" wide from your photo. I'd think

might work. If 0.093" thick is thick enough, you can buy that in lengths starting at 5 feet to way more than you need.

For your aluminum, I'd probably wire brush it to clean it up. Might need something more aggressive, not sure.

dj.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks like Delrin to me too. McMaster-Carr is a good source. They will probably have aluminum too. Or just get some metal polish like Flitz and polish it. A very fine, 1000+ grit wet/dry sandpaper would also work.

Apr 23, 2020
Pearson 323 Gulfport, FL
Thanks guys. I ordered some from McMaster-Carr today. Appreciate the help.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Delrin is good stuff and will probably work fine. I used UHMW when I replaced mine and it works very well.