Grand Traverse Bay - destinations/anchorage recommendations?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I will be sailing out of Traverse City in late July. Boat is moored in TC. Mostly, we plan to day sail, but I would like to explore a little and I would appreciate ideas on overnight or maybe 2 day trips. I would not mind going to another marina or anchoring out. For instance, we are thinking about going up to Sutton's Bay, then maybe Northport, then back. Is it worth the trip to go to over to the east bay? I'm open to anything, and am just starting to look at charts to get ideas, but I don't have a good sense yet for distances, so I'd appreciate input from others' experience there.
Thank you.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
You will probably want to limit any day's sail to less than 20 miles. If you go for a full day of sailing instead (30-35 miles), then give yourself a lay day afterwards, and prep cold meals the day before. You can thank me after you have done your cruise.

The distances are smaller in my 19ft Mariner.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I found Northport and Leland to be two of my favorite spots near Traverse Bay, but I have not been to either port in almost 20 years.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Leland is short trip from traverse city by car. But not by boat!

Suttons Bay, Elk Rapids and northport are all great marinas in the bay. DNR marinas prioritize transient slips, so you’ll probably be able to get a slip, even though its the height of tourist season. Those three marinas are all right in the towns, and they don’t charge you anything if you just want to tie up for a couple hours and go shopping / eat lunch.

right down by TC the bay is pretty busy, but when you get a little bit north it’s amazing how often you have the whole lake to yourself.

I’ve got more experience with marinas in Grand Traverse Bay than anchorages, but anchorages might include Omena Bay and Northport Bay, Hasserot Beach, and bowers Harbor. Power Isand is a good place for a picnic, I’m not sure it’s sheltered enough for an overnight.

Omena Bay has a restaurant and winery with docks.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Sorry - on the chart “Hasserot Beach” is called “Old Mission Harbor.”
Its in the east arm, near the northern tip of the peninsula.