Good boat shoes for the "elderly"

Mcgray

Dec 24, 2014
pacific seacraft 31 cape canaveral
We've been spending quality time with our boats and getting ELDERLY.

Sheez, boy, didn't your Mom teach you any respect?!? :wow3::worship:
Didn't mean to offend with my message regarding Keen's. Sorry.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'll put in a vote for Keens with enclosed toes as well, also have a pair of Harken boat sneakers and I get a pair of Sebago Clovehitch every year or two. Between the three I can usually find something that fits the weather and conditions.
As for Crocks? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. (Flame retardant suit is on.:)

View attachment 124172
Just clicked the pic and read the title ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One more thing..

A couple of years ago I went on a coaching sail in Texas. When I got there I discovered that I somehow forgot my sailing shoes, so I headed off to WM to buy a quick pair. Not a HUGE selection as I have wide feet, so I ended up with pair of Sperrys like this, only all white. The crew quickly branded them my 'mall walker shoes'. They now sit in my closet, where they will remain for anther 20 years or so.

I will say that they were hugely comfortable however. And dazzling.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Dazzling? I bought these Columbia Drainmakers for our last Caribbean bareboat cruise. Great boat shoe, comfortable to bare feet, water drains rapidly, non-marring, non-skid. Best boat shoe ever, and comes in Caribbean colors.
image.jpeg

One personal note: If you like sand building up under your arch, behind your heel, and between your toes, making any onshore beach excursion, a bloody, blistering event...leave the shoes on the boat, or buy something else. Actually, The admiral bought these for me, now located on a closet shelf for eternity.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
One more thing..
A couple of years ago I went on a coaching sail in Texas. When I got there I discovered that I somehow forgot my sailing shoes, so I headed off to WM to buy a quick pair. Not a HUGE selection as I have wide feet, so I ended up with pair of Sperrys like this, only all white. The crew quickly branded them my 'mall walker shoes'. They now sit in my closet, where they will remain for anther 20 years or so.

I will say that they were hugely comfortable however. And dazzling.
Send them to me. I'm not proud. I wear 10.5. Wide is fine.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Send them to me. I'm not proud. I wear 10.5. Wide is fine.
Mine are 10.5 wide. They'd go great with a Green ensemble or skin. Send your address and they're yours.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE=".....and at 70 my balance is not what it was. What is a good sticky show, preferably a slip on, to buy these days?[/QUOTE]

Crimey, what's next... boat hooks that double as walking canes?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Of course, my deck very seldom leans more than 10 degrees, so I guess I'm a bad reference...;)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Mine are 10.5 wide. They'd go great with a Green ensemble or skin. Send your address and they're yours.
I'd rather come to NY and try them while sailing Cayuga Lake with you. But since that's not realistic let's talk Monday.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
What will they think of next, sailing shirts, sailing shorts and sailing socks? I have always used generic boat shoes and did not know there were shoes specifically designed for sailing.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have always used generic boat shoes and did not know there were shoes specifically designed for sailing.
after much research i have discovered that they do make some specifically for sailing ...

and they must have had Kermit in mind

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
TSBB 2... said:
...Please define "elderly"... Oh, and I'm 75:)
It was in the news just a week ago... 80 is the new 70. People now consider 80 as the "old" point in life.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A short story. My stern german grandmother continued to operate her five stall milking farm into her 90s. Her three surviving children, my mother, her sister and brother lived a short distance away and us children were required to help out on the farm as we were growing up. HATED farm work, but they remain some of my fondest memories.

Grandma always wore lace-up black leather women's shoes with hard leather heels, which she never tied. So as we walked her five milkers on the road to her lower field after milking I can still hear (65 years ago and counting) her shoe heels scuffing and her walking stick scraping on the pavement as we merried along the few hundred feet. Guess what I learned from her. My lace-up shoes (left over, almost worn out running shoes) I tie so that I can slip on and off easily. My wife accuses me of being a scuffer when I walk. That is what happens when you walk in loose fitting shoes.

Off topic? Sort of, but I did mention shoes. Just say'n.

Last edited: