Gladiator 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2012
I'm helping fix up this boat. One issue it has is, the self draining cockpit drain plugging up. There are 2 drain holes just aft of the companion door. On the inside the port tube crosses at nearly a 90° angle over and joins the starboard drain tube. The tube continues at a shallow angle where it exit's through the starboard thru hull fitting. I haven't had time to thoroughly examine the design and yet it seams problem one is the drain and tube are too small a diameter. Problem 2 is the corner angles are too steep and the runoff angles are too shallow. This causes the water to bottleneck and any debris to get trapped. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to fix this? I thought about draining into a stand alone bilge and using an auto bilge pump. The problem I see with that is if the pump fails or the battery dies the bilge will overflow. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
replace the existing "tubes" with larger diameter hose. This may require enlarging the drain hole fittings as well.... route two hoses aft separately without any sharp angles to a "Y" fitting near the through hull, hopefully the same or larger size diameter. You could install a "check" valve in the section between the Y and the through hull to prevent back flow,

Mar 21, 2012
I thought it might work better if it drained out the transom. Next time I'm at the boat I'll look for a clean rout aft. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2012
Can anyone tell me what the first 3 numbers on a gladiator hull are? My insurance Agent is having a hard time finding it in her system.

Status
Not open for further replies.