Fridge: 12V or DC

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
How often does your fridge cycle and how long will it stay cold if it’s not run? My 12V fridge cycles about 10 minutes on / 10 minutes off in moderate temperatures. It could probably stay cold longer than 10 minutes but I presume the designers programmed it that way for efficiency or some reason like that.

If I had a choice I’d rather have a 12V fridge that runs whenever it needs to than a 120V fridge that only runs when I don’t mind the noise and fuel consumption of a generator.
That's a lot of cycle time. How much does it draw while running? My 12V fridge will cycle on for about 5 to 10 minutes once every couple hours in moderate temperatures, maybe once an hour or a bit less in the tropics. Depending, of course, upon how frequently the door is opened. It draws something like 6 to 8 amps while running.

dj

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
How often does your fridge cycle and how long will it stay cold if it’s not run?
Since our Refig/Freezer is 120VAC, stuff stays very cold for 14 hour in Summer heat on the Gulf of Mexico. No generator running at all.

When we Anchor , We like to go Below in an Air Conditioned Cabin, Beds, Galley or our entire 43 foot boat.

Then we start to Charge everything, in a nice , low humidity evening.

1) The 120VAC Refrig/Freezer Starts to Re-Freeze which takes about 2 hours and maybe cycles one time during the night.
2) Our 2 - 120VAC Air-conditioners are running also.
3) The Admiral prepares Supper while both sip an Adult Beverage. Microwave can be used too.
4) Our Wall mount TV is on
5) Radar is running to give us a Guard Zone. All Exterior lights are on too.
6) Full instrument Package is Running, Anchor Alarms, wave height, wind speed etc.
7) 2 - House Batteries [Type 4D Lead/Acid ] are being charged , 3 hours needed.
8) 2 - 120VAC Counter Top Fans , Circulate the Cabin Air
9) Re-charge All Apple stuff like iPhones, iPads, Lap top Apple too.
10) Then play, using AppleTV, our favorite Movies, in a Play list, Laying the Captain Cabin.

Off the Grid then too. 4 day weekend uses about 6 gallons of Diesel for the Generator.

July 4th weekend, we watch Fire Works all long the Mississippi Gulf shore. :cool:

Ahhh, the life with our 9KW on board Diesel Generator, for us and crew on the Hot Humid nights on the Gulf of Mexico.

Jim and Sue....

PS: What keeps the Refrig/Freezer cold is called "Hold over Plates". This another Chemical Story for later.
PSS: Our Generator is so Quiet, no Noise heard. But the main AC, much noisier.:(

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That's a lot of cycle time. How much does it draw while running? My 12V fridge will cycle on for about 5 to 10 minutes once every couple hours in moderate temperatures, maybe once an hour or a bit less in the tropics. Depending, of course, upon how frequently the door is opened. It draws something like 6 to 8 amps while running.

dj
Ours draws about 4.5 amps when it’s running, so just a little over 50 amp hours per day. It’s nothing fancy - just a front opening fridge/freezer with a 12V compressor.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Since our Refig/Freezer is 120VAC, stuff stays very cold for 14 hour in Summer heat on the Gulf of Mexico. No generator running at all.

When we Anchor , We like to go Below in an Air Conditioned Cabin, Beds, Galley or our entire 43 foot boat.

Then we start to Charge everything, in a nice , low humidity evening.

1) The 120VAC Refrig/Freezer Starts to Re-Freeze which takes about 2 hours and maybe cycles one time during the night.
2) Our 2 - 120VAC Air-conditioners are running also.
3) The Admiral prepares Supper while both sip an Adult Beverage. Microwave can be used too.
4) Our Wall mount TV is on
5) Radar is running to give us a Guard Zone. All Exterior lights are on too.
6) Full instrument Package is Running, Anchor Alarms, wave height, wind speed etc.
7) 2 - House Batteries [Type 4D Lead/Acid ] are being charged , 3 hours needed.
8) 2 - 120VAC Counter Top Fans , Circulate the Cabin Air
9) Re-charge All Apple stuff like iPhones, iPads, Lap top Apple too.
10) Then play, using AppleTV, our favorite Movies, in a Play list, Laying the Captain Cabin.

Off the Grid then too. 4 day weekend uses about 6 gallons of Diesel for the Generator.

July 4th weekend, we watch Fire Works all long the Mississippi Gulf shore. :cool:

Ahhh, the life with our 9KW on board Diesel Generator, for us and crew on the Hot Humid nights on the Gulf of Mexico.

Jim and Sue....

PS: What keeps the Refrig/Freezer cold is called "Hold over Plates". This another Chemical Story for later.
PSS: Our Generator is so Quiet, no Noise heard. But the main AC, much noisier.:(
What brand is your quiet generator?

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
ahahhaha
Bahamas actually
Marinas in the Bahamas typically have metered electric, not flat rate like many marinas in the US. Electricity and water can be expensive there. Being able to stay off grid is good.