Flickering House Lights

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
+1 to Chris' reply. Cheaper LEDs have no built-in voltage regulator and therefore react instantly to any voltage fluctuation. You'd need an oscilloscope to pick up those voltage fluctuations.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Use an analog meter as digitals can be slow reacting to changes
Analog will definitely pick up more than a digital but will still miss many events that will make the led flicker... They're faster but still slow... A large but short dip will look like a tiny fluctuation... If nothing more reasonable works you might need to borrow agood oscilloscope to really see it... Old burglar alarm installers might still have a device they used to detect short breaks in the foil they lined windows with

PeteT

May 2, 2023
Catalina 30 Channel Islands, CA (Oxnard)
I just started following this thread as my cabin lights are LED and have been for quite some time now. I went to the Phillipines for 6 months and was off the boat. I had friends checking on it as we had quite a bit of rain here in Calif. Upon my return I fired up the cabin lights and some of them flickered a bit or were dim. Then they went off completely. I have 5 cabin lights and only 3 were affected. Then all of sudden they all started working fine and then a few minutes later 3 of them went off completely. I checked the bulbs in the other working fixtures and they were good. All connections behind the dome fixtures look fine. Not sure where to start... Any ideas???

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I just started following this thread as my cabin lights are LED and have been for quite some time now. I went to the Phillipines for 6 months and was off the boat. I had friends checking on it as we had quite a bit of rain here in Calif. Upon my return I fired up the cabin lights and some of them flickered a bit or were dim. Then they went off completely. I have 5 cabin lights and only 3 were affected. Then all of sudden they all started working fine and then a few minutes later 3 of them went off completely. I checked the bulbs in the other working fixtures and they were good. All connections behind the dome fixtures look fine. Not sure where to start... Any ideas???
Are they parallel connected, series connected? If so are the three bad lights near the end of the wiring run and the two good ones at the beginning? Maybe bad/loose connection somewhere in the string?

PeteT

May 2, 2023
I wondered about that, but I don't know how to test that. Really strange. I wonder if they are in series, but the ones that work I would think are at the beginning. Hmm Thanks let me play with this.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A common practice, which does not imply a good practice, by boat builders is to stick more than one wire in a connector. For lighting runs there would be a butt connector with a pig tail for the light coming out of one side. And few, if any, builders take the time and effort to use heat sealed connectors. Check the connectors for corrosion or failing connections.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I wondered about that, but I don't know how to test that. Really strange. I wonder if they are in series, but the ones that work I would think are at the beginning. Hmm Thanks let me play with this.
Yes I would think so as well. It would be hard to say though until the wiring for all the lights was examined from beginning to end to confirm how it was wired. If wired in parallel, its possible for the three flickering lights to be at the beginning of the string if they are all on the same wiring run. Another possibility is just a weak battery bank. This would be easy to confirm just by charging it full and while full and the charger is on, do they still flicker?

Before i switched to lithium house bank, i had a weak and dying lead acid house battery. When the voltage started dropping near the lower end of the range the lights could handle, three of them near the end of the string (parallel connected) would flicker and slightly dim. When the battery was full or the charger was on they were perfectly fine though. Since i have switched to lithium, havn't seen them flicker since.

Last edited:

PeteT

May 2, 2023
I checked batteries and both banks are strong at 13.5. I think I'll just go down the line with a tester to see what happens. Thanks for the thoughts.