"fit and finish" of new hunters

• Thread starter christopher bayer
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christopher bayer

i am the proud new owner of a hunter 426 aft model which is currently being commissioned. i love the boat. one of the reasons i purchased a hunter is the fact that the owner's website is the best out there!. in any event, i am somewhat disappointed with the fit and finish of the interior in particular. doors don't close flush, wall covering is poorly stapled, etc. am i too particular, or is this 'normal'. i could really use some feedback. the outfit i purchased the boat from is terrific, but it seems that there is some slippage in the manufacturing process (unless i'm out of line). please advise hunterites!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Not Normal IMHO

From what I have seen of new Hunters at the shows, the fit/finish is better than it has been in many years and certainly amoung the top in class. Contact Hunter and let them know of your disappointment. It is true that you always see more after you get familiar with your vessel and it's not a car, so there will be some issues with any craft. Certainly, we can't tell from your post if this is just boat stuff or sloppy work. Compare it with others, and if it's an issue, have it fixed or don't accept it. Rick D.

N

nick maggio

not right

I have a 2001-290 and every thing works fine all doors and draws open and close just fine as they should. It did have a leak from the hull deck seal but the dealer took care of it before I took the boat and any other problems. When I got it home a day or two of sailing showed a bad leak at the stern deck hull seal and so I called the dealer which was in virginia and they called hunter and it was all fixed here on long Island at no cost to me ,the bill was like $1800.00 and they hunter and dealer made no fuss at all so if your dealer doesn't take care of it and make you very happy than call hunter,you spent a lot more than I did and my dealer was great and always more than happy to make me very happy with my boat.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Go back to dealer

Check out the fit and finish on some other new Hunters around the same size. See how it compares, and as everyone said, see what your dealer has to say about your boat. It's not a Swan but everything should function properly.

F

Frank Arndorfer

Fit and finish are among the best

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts. It seems out of character. We just took delivery of a new 426DS and even the yard hands involved with the commissioning have been commenting on the quality and attention to detail. This dealer, in addition to Hunter, Jenneau, Dufour, JBoats, Tartan, and Pacific Seacraft, sells a lot of used boats and has seen them all. They rate Hunter as tops in "production boat" class. But keep in mind, the fit and finish are FACTORY issues. The dealer can be either your best ally or worst advesary when dealing with factory issues. You need him as your intermediary so work with him, not against him. Good luck.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Is the boat in the water or out?

Christopher: You did not mention if your boat is in the water or out. I would not get too excited if you boat is not sitting in the water. Once you are floating some of these items may self correct themselves. Wall covering is a different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.