External regulation

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You hit the nail on the head with that last post. If you install it wrong or with substandard parts, if you alternator and battery bank are not matched in size, if you cut corners then yes you get bad results.
As an engineer I pretty much cannot design stupid users out of the product. The best I can do, as you have MS, is reinforce the important aspects.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Spring is finally starting to appear, the cover is off and I am starting to upgrade the elec sys per main sails recommendations. However, I am having problems finding a place for the 2nd 4D to increase my house bank.
Following was recommended - install it under the v berth. Batt cables currently run fwd to power the windless. With a change - add batt switch, move windless breaker, etc could add a batt here to the bank. This would also help with boat balance since she is stern heavy.
My concerns;
With one batt aft close to the alternator (Balmar w/external regulator) and the other at the end of 30 ft of wire will they both be properly charged?
Also will they both be discharged equally?

If not a good idea how far from the current batt can I install the 2nd w/o a problem?

Thanks to all for the education in this thread,
The mech eng,
Bob