Estimating Bottom Square Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Does anyone have a general formula that estimates how many square feet of hull you have that needs bottom paint? I recently bought a 1992 H28. Thanks.

E

Eric

square footage estimator

The Interlux website (link below) has a hull square footage estimator. Go to the "Paint System Advisor" link in the left column on their site.

B

Bill O'Donovan

One gallon

should cover the bottom of a 28 without skimping or thinning.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Mine is on Thick

I use a gallon and almost a quart on my 23.5

W

Warren M.

Formula

A rule of thumb formula that works for me is: waterline length x max beam x .85 FYI, I have a Hunter 28.5 and can put on nearly 2 coats with a gal of ACT using a 1/4" roller....

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Steve, it took two gallons of bottom paint...

to cover our 1989 H28 with two to three coats. I prefer the ablative West Marine brand on sale. The last quart of paint I used to slop on two coats under the keel while the boat was off the blocks and on the travel lift just before splash. Terry

Jun 3, 2004
- - Deale, Md
Formula, II

While paint makers would love you to put on multiple layers of their products, the key is knowing how much you really need to protect the bottom of your boat from hard growth/slime, etc. After following recommendations on the paint cans to put on 2-3 coats of paint, I found that the following spring I was sanding off 1-2 coats of paint. Bingo. I now put on one thin coat of annual ablative (usually ACT)with a 1/4" (not the suggested 3/8") roller. I never have hard growth and I hardly ever have to any sanding. FWIW, the formula I posted below, when applied to my Hunter 28.5 produces a sq footage of about about 216 sq ft. A gallon of most bottom paints usually covers about 400+ sq feet. One gallon for a 28 foot boat leaves me with a lot of left over paint....

Status
Not open for further replies.