Engine Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank

I have a hardy little 2.5 horsepower Tohatsu engine on my 170 that runs great. It has one forward gear so the prop turns the whole time the motor is running. I have a small dock on my lake that is awkward to get in to. Sailing in is fine under certain conditions, other times it would be better under power. To dock, if I come in under power, I need to be able to stop as I come directly into the dock. My alternative is to drift ever so slowly in - which is aggravating. Problem is, reversing the engine with the prop turning is a problem and sometimes the reversing lock catch is missed when I turn the engine around and the prop spews out of the water. Further, since the prop is spinning the whole time, the boat turns very quickly in response to the turning and complicates the process. Anybody upgraded to a 3.5 hp engine? At least it has a neutral gear, which would make things much easier. Hunter limits the power to 2.5 HP on the 170 in its spec sheet - does anyone know why it’s limited to 2.5HP or what problems are created if you go up one hp? The weight on the bracket is increased by only a pound, so I would not think it is a weight problem. Suggestions or comments either on using a bigger engine, or any maneuvering tips with these little one gear engines would be greatly appreciated.

S

Stuart C

Tohatsu 3.5 HP

I use a Tohatsu 3.5 HP on my 170. I have never used more that 1/2 throttle and put it in neutral when I get close to the dock and drift in. I have only had to turn it around for reverse once. I have never used an engine with no neutral. The 3.5 HP works great for me.

M

Mike

Motor's reverse- hp ratings

Frank, Unfortunately I don't know why Hunter limited the hp spec to 2.5, nor do I know what problems a 1hp increase might cause-- but I do know that Yamaha now makes a fwd/neutral 2.5hp four stroke. I purchased one last month and in the single outting I've used it, it's great. It has the traditional shifter on the side of the motor, much like a 9.9hp or larger, only it only toggles to fwd and back to center (neutral) positions. This motor also "swivel-reverses" like your 2.5 In case a new (small) 2.5 was an option you were considering, I thought this would be helpful. Mine was around $795. to walk out the door. Best, Mike Garrison, Alachua, FL

Apr 1, 2004
Hunter 170 Yorktown, VA
Short Shaft

I heard of some people having issues with the short (15") shaft of some models in rougher seas. How does the Yamaha do? Other then that it looks like a great motor. I picked up a 1-year-old Honda long shaft (20") for my boat. No issues yet. There is no gear selector, but there is a clutch to keep the prop from spinning at low RPM.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
frank

contact edsboat1@aol if you want to sell your 2.5 Im in tampa

R

Rob

Engine

Frank, I didn’t know there was another 170 owner in Tampa. I have had mine for about a year and half. It came with a Honda 2hp 4 stroke. Which moves the boat quite nicely. At low rpm’s the engine is in neutral, as you give it gas the propeller begins to spin. You do have to turn the engine around to put the boat in reverse. That can be tricky especially if you are trying to do it quickly. I don’t think the weight of the 3.5hp engine is the issue but the force the engine would put on the motor mount. My 2hp has created miner spider cracks; I couldn’t imagine what the full throttle force from the 3.5 hp would do. I hope this helps. FYI: I am thinking of racing my boat at the Davis Island Yacht Club Wednesday night races. It sure would be fun to go up against the same class boat. There is no charge to race. You can find info on this event at www.diyc.org.

D

Dick in MI

Spider cracks

Rob- Regarding your motor mount, do you have just the mount itself or do you have both the mount and the support pole that attaches to the boat?

R

Rob

Spider Crack

I dont believe I have a support pole. I have what looks like an L shaped bracket. Is the support pole an add on or dose it suppose to come with the boat?

D

Dick in MI

motor mount bracket brace

The extra item is called, I believe, a motor mount bracket brace kit and its function is to add support to the L-bracket that you have. It is an accessory. I recently ordered both items when purchasing a motor. I saw the bracket on another Hunter and even though the dealer thought that I could get away with just the bracket, the combo looked solid and seemed like good additional insurance.

D

Dick in MI

One more thing about the brace

I don't see it on the Hunter website. However, the dealer had a part number for it and I saw one installed. It was about $35-40 if I recall.

F

Frank

Another 170 in Tampa

Attention ROB in Tampa I will check out the racing a bit more at Davis Island, though Wednesday's really are tough for a 9-5'er like myself. I knew of the races at DIYC, but thought you had to be a member to participate. I keep my boat on a small lake (barely large enough to sail on) behind my house located near Apollo Beach and just have not taken it out on the bay. Could be fun to do some "sparring" with another 170 sometime. Keep in touch. My email: fjk@ij.net

F

Frank

Brace

Dick - Thanks for the tip about the brace. I'll check with a dealer down here about the availability. Sounds like good insurance. Thanks again. Frank

Apr 1, 2004
Hunter 170 Yorktown, VA
Question about the brace

Is this in addition to the Hunter engine mount? My current brace looks like: | | | | -------- <-- Aft Is there an extra brace that goes from the top to the front part of the mount? John

D

Dick in MI

The one I saw looks like this

Sort of looks like this when attached to the mount. | | |-------------| | | |____ Again, it's not on the Hunter website, but the dealer had the part number and I saw one installed on a 216. I'm still awaiting delivery on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.