Engine raw water thru hole location

Jun 20, 2022
Catalina 30 Everett
Hi:
I have a 1979 Catalina 30 which I purchased last year. When going over the boat at purchase, I noticed a 1/2" hose running into the bilge which I thought was a drain hose for somewhere in the stern. Yesterday I was on the boat cleaning out the bilge and looked closer at the hose. Instead of a drain hose, I realized that it had a 1/2" bolt threaded into the hose end as a "cap" with a single ss hose clamp. When taking out the bolt, sea water flowed out. I contacted the previous owner and he said it was the old raw water supply for the Atomic 4 that he had replaced with a Universal. He had just left the raw water supply hose in place with the bolt. I tried to follow the hose to the thru hole but couldn't find it. The hose leads through the stuffing box then over to the starboard side somewhere. Anyone know where the thru hole is for this?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can’t help other than suggest it’s likely aft of and close to the keel to ensure water can flow in when the boat is heeled.

This seems like another previous owner horror story that can bite you as anyone who did that certainly never bothered to ensure the thruhull hose clamp(s) were good.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
When taking out the bolt, sea water flowed out.
Did water flow continuously without stop indicating it very well may be connected to a thru hull ?

The hose leads through the stuffing box then over to the starboard side somewhere.
How do you mean it leads "through" the stuffing box ? This I can't picture.

You appear to be in a dangerous position primarily because the previous owner of your boat was an idiot. Happens to a great number of people here. The thru hull cock is now open and if the hose should be rotten and fail, there is no way to stop the inflow of water. I think you know what that means.

Your first and only job at this time is to find the thru hull and close the cock ASAP providing the cock can be closed. If you have any means of observing the starboard underwater exterior of your hull (itinerant divers, iphone in a watertight case or ? ? ?) check for thru hulls. Stay in touch and let us know what you find.

Jun 20, 2022
Catalina 30 Everett
Water flows continuously. The hose runs through the compartment where the stuffing box is accessed. I'm in contact with the former owner to see if he can help with it's location..

Jan 4, 2006
Here is a real hair brained idea but desperate times call for desperate measures :yikes: .

Lift the end of the hose up a foot or so such that the end is above the water level, pull the bolt out and have someone blow through the hose. Maybe best to make that someone you don't particularly like. If you can't find someone you don't like, attach a child's toy air pump to the hose end using duct tape. Then find someone you do like and get them to operate the pump. Look over the starboard side of the boat and see where the bubbles are rising from. This "should" pinpoint the longitudinal location of the thru hull and increase your chances of locating the thru hull from inside the boat.

I did say it was hair brained :facepalm:.

Jan 4, 2006
I should add a cautionary note here in all seriousness. What is the condition of this hose ? If it looks rotten and about to fail, don't touch it until you can get the boat hauled. If it's still in reasonable condition, carry on with the search but keep the bolt handy. A better choice while working on this would be a wooden tapered dowel if you've got one handy. It still requires a gear clamp.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Find the through-hull, hope there's a seacock, and close it!

I'm shocked. I mean, did you have a survey done, and buy insurance?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, that is a disaster waiting to happen. Another thing is that insurance sometimes won't cover a loss in the event of a jury rigged component failure that results in a loss of the boat. May not even cover it if you have consequential loss coverage. As others have emphasized, the immediate goal is to locate the thru hull valve & turn it off. Ideally, the thru hull should be removed & the hole properly glassed over or minimally, install a new thru hull & valve with a water tight cap (at least there would be a degree of redundancy to prevent flooding. but definitely not ABYC compliant). Depends on how you use the boat & how much you want to spend.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Here is a real hair brained idea but desperate times call for desperate measures :yikes: .

.... attach a child's toy air pump to the hose end using duct tape. T.....t.

I did say it was hair brained :facepalm:.
Most/many of us have an inflatable dinghy pump handy....

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Water flows continuously. The hose runs through the compartment where the stuffing box is accessed. I'm in contact with the former owner to see if he can help with it's location..
The location is a secondary concern. The primary being something cracks, breaks or simply gets loose and the boat sinks. haul the boat asap!

Jun 20, 2022
Catalina 30 Everett
Of what i can see, the hose is in OK condition. The thru hull must be under the battery compartment in the nav station or the starboard locker. I'll have to remove the batteries and or aux fuel tank to look. Removing the thru hull and glassing it over is definitely in the plans.

Jan 4, 2006
The thru hull must be under the battery compartment in the nav station or the starboard locker.
I guess there's no need for access to the thru hull if there's no cock on it. OUCH :yikes: !

I'll pray for you and drop a few pennies in the poor box on my way out.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've seen pics on some very early C30s where Catalina just glassed in pipe nipples with no sea cock. Not sure if it was a one off or not.
Since the owner didn't bother closing the valve most likely there isn't one or it failed open.
Maybe give Catalina Yachts a call and ask if they might know where the water intake is/was on your year boat. ‭(727) 544-6681‬. Ask for customer service.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andy...First welcome to the SBO Forum. Congrats on your new boat.

I am not in Everett right now but if you will send me a Private Message with a way to contact you in Everett, I will be up there on Tuesday and would be glad to try to assist you.

As has been said, a hose that lets water into the boat just plugged with a bolt is a nightmare waiting to happen. You need to resolve it sooner than later. The solutions may entail hauling the boat out of the water to permanently and safely plug the hole. As an option you may be able to put a proper through hull on the hole (that is the source of the water).

You must identify the source. Perhaps you can resolve the issue over night and just get the port to let the boat hang in the slings for 15 hours from their last haul to their first splash the next morning.

You could also try and locate the hole from the outside of the hull. A camera that takes underwater images while you lay down on the dock is one option to look under the side of the boat. You can also ask a friend to tilt the boat by hanging a butt out over the side while holding onto the shrouds. This may lean the boat enough to help you locate the hole. Just be sure the friend is wearing a PFD in the unlikely case he lets go of the shroud.:yikes:

Sounds like the PO lived on the edge with the boat. Nothing fills a boat with water faster than an open hole in the boat bottom.