Dufour 500 GL

Apr 27, 2021
Dufour 40 Los Angeles
Greetings folks
I am giving serious thought to acquiring a Dufour 500 GL. Although the market has limited options, it appears to be a meticulously designed, robustly constructed vessel with commendable sailing capabilities and performance. I would value any insights or experiences. Additionally, I am considering the Beneteau 49 & 50, the Beneteau 523, and the Jeanneau 53. Yet, my preference consistently leans towards the Dufour.

Any input would be appreciated.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Where and how will you be sailing?

All of them except the Beneteau 49 have deeper draft than I'd want to have but that's based on where I sail.

I've heard good things about the Dufour boats but don't have any direct hands-on knowledge.

I see you are in LA, I think the west coast is easier with deep draft boats than where I am located. Perhaps some West coast sailors can chime in...

dj

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The name (Grand Large, which means Offshore in French) makes it sound like it's supposed to be for long-haul cruising. The wide beam aft looks like it adds substantial wetted surface. It is surprising to see so much fuel tankage, (almost as much as the water) and a hefty 75 hp engine. Is this a motorsailer? If you enjoy sailing instead of powering the low SA/disp ratio might be a problem in anything less than 20 knots of breeze. For life at the dock it would seem quite adequate.