Does Anyone Use An Underwater Inspection Camera?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
For a while I have wanted to get an under water inspection camera to see if i need to clean the prop, check zincs, clean the bottom, engine shaft alignment in the shaft log, and on occasion, see if we are hooked on a crab pot before going over the side. I noticed that there are a lot of well-rated waterproof bore scopes and endoscopes on Amazon with their own display and 16-30ft of cable for under $100. It would be fairly easy to attach the camera to a telescoping painter's pole of some sort to inspect in the slip. These devices have a short focus distance of a few inches.
Has anyone tried this? Any advice?
TIA
Dan

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you watch YouTubers you will often see them stick a GoPro or something similar below the waterline to see the hull. Although considerably more expensive than most of the endoscopes and horoscopes online, they yield much better images.

That said, I have a $35 Depstech Endoscope (Amazon Link) that I often use to see the hidden places on the boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a 30' borescope that I use the look under the boat that I tape it to a piece of soft coper tubing that can be bend to curve under the hull. It is only waterproof to 1 meter so I try to keep it close to the hull and not get temped to check out the bottom of the keel.
So far, so good.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I bought the Depstech and it can be useful inside the boat, but for underwater, the focal length is set way too close for proper examination.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. Endoscopes have their uses, but this is not one of them. They are VERY nearsighted.
b. Remember that a GoPro's wireless link won't work underwater. There are kits to extend it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If water is clear and your GoPro is within 12”s of the surface you should be able to see some of the bottom and perhaps the shaft and prop displayed on your linked phone. At least you can stick the camera on the end of a boat hook and move it around under water taking video of all that is visible. Bring the camera to the surface and play the underwater scene on your laptop in cabin TV or iPad. It work’s pretty well.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I got a piece of scrap SS tube from a dodger guy and mounted a cheap gopro on it. Shoot numerous videos and “one“ will work!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The 'waterproof' Endoscopes work pretty well, and for 30-50 bucks you will not burst into tears if it get waterlogged. While IP67 means only 1 meter of water proof, it means it for 30 minutes. Most of these things will survive a much deeper dive for much shorter intervals. YMMV of course.

Handy.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If i bought one of those, my wife would leave me. Any excuse to get in the water, even if it's just a day cleaning the bottom.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I have both an endoscope and an underwater inspection camera. Some thoughts:

1. Get the endoscope. There are so many uses on a boat for them. Wanna see where that wire terminates? Where the cable run starts? What's under the floor? See where the tiny nut fell on the backside of the engine when you blindly took it off the glow plug? Figure out why you can't pull two wires through the arch, but one seems to work? You'll want one that is lit (because most places you'll need to go will be dark), and wireless (so you can use your phone as the display. They're not expensive, and they are SO handy.

2. Underwater camera - meh. I tried an older GoPro. But as one poster stated its wireless capability ends as soon as its submerged, unless you buy something to extend it. Without being able to see what the GoPro is seeing its mostly useless. You'll spend a lot of time hoping to have gotten an image of what you want to see, bringing it out of the water, playing on your phone or on the camera, only to realize you didn't get it and trying over and over. I bought an inexpensive underwater camera from WalMart, around $100. It comes with its own display, which is hard wired to the camera so you don't lose connectivity under water. My use case was to look at the prop for fouling, and inspect zincs during the season to see if I need to replace them - especially in the winter when I can't dive on it. While I've been able to do both, the limited light at the dock under the boat, combined with the murkiness of the shallow bay water, pretty much lets me see only silhouetted outlines. That's enough to confirm the prop is folded and not fouled, and that the prop zincs are still there. I'm using a long boathook and its just OK. Maybe if I had a jointed pole of some sort I could get a better look and have more control over where I can get the camera, but its difficult from my finger pier, and the light angle is SUPER important. If you have boats flanking you and limiting light, you may find its not enough to really get a good look.

Anyway, my two cents.

Apr 5, 2009
Here is the Borescope that I have. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I first bought it to run a new romex cable up my wall and over to the center of my dining room to add a ceiling light.
On the boat it is really handy for seeing into narrow cracks and around corners.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Interesting replies. Thank You all. In the lower Chesapeake the water can be less than a foot vis under the boat in the slip. I'm thinking that one of my small dive lights attached to the camera, endoscope or go pro, might help. Good caution on the 1m limit for IP67. The wireless link to the iphone for a display on the endoscopes seem to suffer from syncing but reduces the price. But there is the danger i would drop my iphone in the water trying to look and guide the camera, so a wired display might better suit my clumsiness.

Apr 5, 2009
But there is the danger i would drop my iphone in the water trying to look and guide the camera, so a wired display might better suit my clumsiness.
which is why I set my phone on the dock and use both hands to handle the copper tube/camera. I find that the lights on the borescope iluminate pretty well, at least out as far as the limited vis will allow.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I use an underwater fishing cam taped to a boat hook. It’s hardwired on a 30’ cable to an LCD display topside and it has its own LED lights built in. It plugs into a 12v socket. Works pretty well for basic inspections of the prop, but sunlight can be a problem when it washes out the screen. It also has its own weights and it can be interesting to lower it down at night. Lots of tiny creatures show up and swim around it, occasionally squids, etc.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I have started looking at the fish finder cameras too. But they are at minimum triple the price, but certainly could take the depth. they seem to have a wider field of view and better working distance. Might check out the local bass pro shop. It also seems like a good way to let the new diver know i can inspect his work... "I was inspecting my prop with my camera and it needs cleaning" . Ha.

Skeg

Apr 20, 2024
beneteau Ocean brisbane
Here’s what you need, it’s a LIVE FEED underwater pole camera that’s designed for this. You put a GoPro in it, it sends the live feed above the waterline to your phone, so you can see what the GoPro is seeing in REAL TIME. Great for checking under the waterline. I keep one onboard. Here’s the website where I bought mine: DUNDER POLE CAMERAS

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I've used my knock-off GoPro attached to the boat hook. I set it to record so I'm not dependent on the wireless, but it may take a few attempts to get the right shot.
Screenshot_20210803-152118_iSmart DV.jpg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have an endoscope and it has its uses. At home too.

Underwater cameras are pretty much useless on the Chesapeake Bay. Too much mud.

I am also (related but separate topic) of the opinion that if you boat in a cold water area you should have a wet suit of dry suit on board at all times. That underwater camera is not going to unwind the fishing gear or sheet from your prop or rudder shaft. The suit is basic safety equipment.