Discouraging article on older Jenneau Sun Odyssey fixed port replacements

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The podcast lady K sailing made a comment about this exact same thing when he was comparing several different boat models and their pluses and minuses

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The podcast lady K sailing made a comment about this exact same thing when he was comparing several different boat models and their pluses and minuses
I saw that podcast, and the article I posted here is the first thing in print that I've seen that further amplifies the problem. If I owned a Jenneau with those artistically shaped windows I'd be really worried about resale based on Lady K Sailing and these developments.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I saw that podcast, and the article I posted here is the first thing in print that I've seen that further amplifies the problem. If I owned a Jenneau with those artistically shaped windows I'd be really worried about resale based on Lady K Sailing and these developments.
:plus:
Or it’s an opportunity for some entrepreneur:beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Any boat with a large curved port light is subject to this issue. If the acrylic is not properly heat set, eventually the acrylic will pull away from the hull. In the distant past Bowman made a hatch with a curved surface and those hatches had this issue (I had one). The larger the port and the greater or more complex the curve the more difficult it will be to replace and repair.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Am I correct in assuming that the window is made of thin material, otherwise, it wouldn't break apart upon removal?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Am I correct in assuming that the window is made of thin material, otherwise, it wouldn't break apart upon removal?
Not necessarily. They can also become crazed and brittle from long exposure to the sun such that when the seal holding them in place is being cut the stresses - or stress relief - can fracture the brittle window material. It's one reason why having them removed to either be rebedded (if not too damaged) or used to make a duplicate can be expensive in terms of labor because of the extreme care that has to be taken to remove them intact.