Diesel Generator Slow Starting on First Attempt

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
I have a Mastervolt Whisper 8 generator With a Mitsubishi L2E engine. It usually starts slowly before rumbling to life. After that, it runs smooth and strong. Sometimes, it does not start on the first attempt. The control panel automatically goes through the start sequence again with he fuel pump priming and the glow plugs glowing before start attempt number 2. On the second attempt, the entire fires right up. The same battery set up fires the Yanmar 110 HP auxiliary engine up immediately so I know it's not the batteries. I had the starter motor and solenoid checked out, and they are fine. I also tried starting without the sound shield just in case it lacked air. What should I check next? I am assuming that the generator should start immediately like the Yanmar.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
FWIW, my Westerbeke 5Kw 3-cyl generator takes about a 2-3 second crank before it starts from cold. The glow plugs are energized for about 5-7 seconds prior to cranking. After it is warm, the glow plugs are energized for maybe 1-2 seconds and it lights off immediately.
My Volvo auxiliary, without glow plugs, starts by the third revolution- even after a winter's layup.
Your observations don't seem unusual to me.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Doesn't sound that bad but ya might want to check the glow plug circuit and plugs to see if all are energizing during the start sequence.

• Helpful
Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
I can see the voltage drop when the glow plugs go through their cycle so I know they are drawing current. I guess I could take them out and see if they glow.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If it's easy to access and disconnect the glow plug wire, do so and then measure the resistance of each plug. They should measure about 1 to 1.5 ohms. If they are open, then it is burned out.
If you have all of the wires disconnected, check the voltage at each wire to make sure all plugs are getting power during the start cycle.