Delayed alternator charging

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Lately my alternator doesn’t start to charge the battery until it’s been running for 15 minutes or more. Connections are all tight and clean. It’s a Valeo 60A OEM alternator with internal regulator. Any suggestions?

Jun 14, 2010
No, never plugged in. This boat lives between roughly 50 and 80% SOC on a mooring with solar power and working fridge.

Jun 14, 2010
It turns out my problem was loose belt. Never had that become an issue before without a squealing sound but this time was quiet.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That's usually an issue with "bigger alternators" then, say, 50 Amp Delco's. The bigger ones are harder to drive and need a better belt connection. Your engine probably is pretty clean and the belt is probably not very "worn" or old :^))).

Jun 14, 2010
That's usually an issue with "bigger alternators" then, say, 50 Amp Delco's. The bigger ones are harder to drive and need a better belt connection. Your engine probably is pretty clean and the belt is probably not very "worn" or old :^))).
I've seen some pretty fancy alternator/charge/battery setups on cruising boats, but I'm a lowly peasant when it comes to that. Just the stock 60A alternator with (5) Costco GRP24 wet cell batteries, and barely enough solar (250w) to keep them afloat (given the loads I use). I don't have the mindset for proper care and feeding of AGMs nor do I want to become an electrical engineer and roll my own Lithium battery house bank -- what I don't know about Li- batteries is what scares me.