"Deficiencies" causing insurance problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I recently bought a 1989 Hunter Legend 37, and had a survey done before the purchase so that I would know what I had. The boat was in good shape and while it hadn't been sailed last year, it had been sailed in the years prior to that by a through owner who had upgraded the sails and some other items. The survey came back with many recommendations which suited me fine for negotiating purposes, but now I am finding that they are causing a headache because the insurance company doesn't want to insure it because of the sheer number of items. I am interested in your thoughts about a couple of the items which seem to be factory original and therefore suitable in my mind.
1- "A 3" diameter vent should be installed from the bilge to the outside above the maximum heeled water line." Certainly nothing has been plugged up, has some new requirement been enacted since the boat was built?
2-"A permanently mounted automatic fire extinguishing system should be installed in the engine compartment or a vapor tight fire port for an extinguisher to be discharged through it"
3-"The house and starting batteries should be vented to the outside atmosphere using a 3" diameter hose"
4- 3 seperate recommendations to cover circuit protection between the batteries and the isolator switches, the batteries and the charger, and between the main 30 a breaker and the deck receptacle because it is more than 10'

Do any of these sound like the work of an over exuberant inspector, or are they reasonable grounds for addressing before she can be sailed and insured. There were 6 different recommendations about chafe protection for a variety of hoses and wires as well which are just the way they came from the factory more than 20 years ago!

Thanks, Dan

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
although they sound ominous, it sounds like you had a good surveyor.

Just how many issues were there? My surveyor listed deficiencies as A, B, C items and the insurance was contingent on ALL "A" items being fixed ASAP - before the boat moved with my insurance, B items within 30 days of binding (had to send pics and receipts for A and B items, see below) and C items were nice to have fixed, but not insurance requirements.

I think that as far as the vent is concerned - it is there somewhere...my 1991 has a blower as well as the vent line mentioned that exits in to one of the aft lazzarettes and through a "louver" to the outside.

Again with the fire system, mine came stock with one...but you can meet the letter of the item by purchasing a "fire hole", a small 1-2" insert with a transparent plastic sheet that a fire extinguisher nozzle can be stuck through. Worse case, get a fireboy with a sprinkler head and mount it above the engine

Batteries do need a vent, mine use the engine room one, but you may have to install another one

Not sure about #4 but any "open" studs, switches, fuses, shunts, cable ends etc should have covers or shrouds to prevent a short

Chafe and cable ties for any current or fuel carrying hoses/wires does need to be addressed

I would feel a lot safer with them addressed.

You may be able to send the insurance company a letter telling them that you will get them done as soon as practical, and get insurance. I did, and they gave me thirty days to get them pictures, shop receipt, or a signed "survey" that the work was completed to the letter of the survey.

A lot of this depends on the insurance company, but a whole slew of small items can be a red flag...that the boat has not been adequately maintained...the insurance company could care less about new sails, or furlers or winches.

Best of luck, you may try calling them to see what their thoughts are, BoatUS was very good with my current boat as well as the prior one. I expect to be getting a "survey request" later this year, since it has been a couple of years since we purchased her.

Disclaimer - I am not suggesting you simply tell them the repairs are done, when they are not...as you may have a claim denied (or your policy returned) when/if they discover the repairs were not made....whether related to the claim or not

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Who is the insurance company?

1. Really ridiculous. Never seen it on a boat less than 50'. Do they say what eventuality this is supposed to cover? Can they reference it to ABYC (or anything else?) Maybe they're thinking of venting required for gas engine spaces.

2. An automatic system on a 30' boat? No way. The fire port is a good idea though. Should be inexpensive and easy to fit.

3. A good idea but it would depend on where your batteries are and whether the space is enclosed. I would think a 3" hose is overkill anyway.

4. These could be reasonable since unprotected lengths are not a good idea.

It sounds to me like you've got a company who doesn't have much experience with insuring boats of your type and size. I'd check with others.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Are you in Bath England? If so American opinions may not be worth much.

My reaction otherwise would be - is it a diesel?

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
To me the survey "items" may be nice to do, but were mainly to give the surveyor something to "suggest" that aren't really problems. Talk to your surveyor and explain his suggested upgrades are causing such problems and ask for a new verison of the survey.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Dan:

Have you considered a different insurance company?

As for your batteries, you can switch to Gel or AGM technology to eliminate the issue.

Some of the other stuff like the built in fire system does not seem applicable to a boat of your size.

I haven't heard about a vent to the bilge.

It would not be that expensive to add in-line battery fuses and it is not a bad idea.

Have you contacted BoatUS? Do they service Canadian clients?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Classic Over-Reaching

Your inspector sounds like a just-graduated B-school MBA.

Some of those recommendations are just plain stupid. I would suggest a thorough letter to the underwriter explaining what you will do and what you will not and why.

Unfortunately, you may ultimately have to get your own second survey and reapply.

This is just the kind of stuff that makes me crazy with surveyors to start with. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.