Day Sailer Cabin Modifications for Comfort

Dec 9, 2022
Macgregor Venture 17 Lake Carlyle
Hey all,
I've got a 1969 Macgregor Venture 17. Taken it out several times this summer and it's great for a few hours of sailing, but is lacking some amenities for anything longer. I'm looking to totally redo the cabin this winter. Rip all the wood flooring out, give it a clean coat of paint, and start fresh. I'd like to rebuild the interior to make it more comfortable for the wife and potentially a weekend camp trip. I'd like to build a recess for a porta potty and hang some type of curtain around it for some privacy (for the wife). Maybe build some type of couch into 1 side? Thought about some longer term batteries for some fans, lights, and a radio as well.

What other modifications or retrofits have you guys done to your day-sailers to turn them more into a pocket cruiser?

Appreciate any advise or insight!

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Having renoed a 22ft boat and spent a lot of money and.time renoing it... , I would suggest you simply sell the 17ft boat and buy a bigger trailerable sailboat that already has a portapottie, sitting/sleeping area etc.

It will cost less in both time and.money, and you will have a boat that will make you happier.

You will never get back the time and money spent refitting a venture 17, when you eventually sell it. It will still be worth the same as any other unmodified venture 17. When I sold the C22 I got exactly what I paid, before I did all the work, so the refit costs were a total financial loss and time wasted. Looking back I should have bought a bigger boat in the first place.

Maybe a 80s era Catalina 22 "new design" with poptop is better choice for you and your wife. More sailing, less working and you may never feel the need to go any bigger.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A few thoughts, having modified a few smaller boats for cruising:
  • Consider outside curtains or at least something that is tight to the wall. They eat into space more than you think. And how often are you actually close enough to anybody that they can see anything? Better, no curtains.
  • Build a DIY desiccating head. Way less odor. Easier to service. Lighter. And you will probably take it into the cockpit at night, because otherwise you are pooping next to your partner or getting them up. desiccating head. It's dark at night (the cockpit is private) if you are anchored-out, and if you are in a marina, use the shore facilities.
  • You really don't need a privacy curtain for the head. My boat has one and no one has ever used it. You wait in the cockpit. But perhaps if it was pouring rain.
  • Install USB outlets and possibly a tiny 120V inverter for chargers.
  • Switch to LED lights. All of them. Saves a LOT of battery.
  • Think about simple showering in the cockpit (wearing a bathing suit). Maybe a pump-up bug sprayer. I don't care for the Sun Shower type, but something to get the sticky off before bed is a luxury.
And Leeward Rail is not wrong. You don't want to make a simple boat complicated. Think of this as luxury camping and leave it there.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Fans are great when it's hot and add tremendously to comfort. You can get rechargeable fans that work all night or built in fans. Radio? Meh. A good bluetooth speaker can be both your cockpit stereo, your cabin radio, and your video tablet sound system. Cushions are always good, I have a two part wedge that can be low, high, or really high so it works as a lounging back support, a pillow, or seat cushion.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Welcome to SBO. You'll get a lot of opinions. :biggrin:

I can't offer specific suggestions for your boat, so I'll offer a few general suggestions about this kind of work.

Much of the interior structure of a boat serve more than one function, many parts are actually structural and help to keep the boat in one piece. All boats twist and move when underway, bulkheads, settee fronts, cabinetry all serve to help the boat maintain its shape and to reduce the twisting and moving.

The other major function of the interior structure is to distribute the forces developed by the rig to the hull and keel. The forward bulkhead is especially important as it counters the vertical forces from the mast and transmits it to the keel.

Pay particular attention to those pieces in the hull that bonded together with fiberglass.

Using a 17' boat as a cruiser will be like wilderness backpacking, it is some folks cup of tea, but not everyone's. For about 15 years I cruised on a 22' boat however as I aged more creature comforts were important.

Don't be dissuaded by these comments, by modifying the boat you will learn a lot. In the long run this will pay benefits. In the short run, @Leeward Rail's comments are worth considering.

Enjoy! :beer:

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I started with a 23ft boat, then moved up to a 26, then a 28, now a 31. No way my wife and I could survive a weekend on a 17ft boat, not even when we were young. There a several trailerable boats in the 26ft range, that's my recommendation.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I wouldn't try to reconstruct the interior too much. Find a place for the porta potty and a spot for a small stove and portable ice chest. When underway, you're not going to be cooking, and it you need to use the head, just close off the cabin with the hatch boards. At anchor you can rig a cockpit awning over the boom, perhaps a privacy screen tied to the lifelines, and move the potty outside along with anything else you don't need once you go to sleep. Actually, if I recall there's plenty of space in the cabin for a coleman style stove and an ice chest under the settee (or someplace else),
As mentioned earlier, building cabinetry and making structural changes will be for your pleasure only and will not increase the value of the boat. If you're jonesing for a pocket cruiser, then you've been bit by the bug (not a bad thing:oops:) So have fun sailing your present boat with camping gear, and start setting your sights on a boat designed for you and your partner's desires. I think the logical move would be something like a catalina 22 with the pop top. But there's a Venture 222 that might be an interesting and affordable option.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Your boat was most likely designed by a marine architect with weight in the proper places to get the best sailing characteristics out of such a small boat. You will not have a lot of room to change things unless you don't care to keep her sailing as designed. As above, sell this boat and find one with what you desire already built in properly.
Boat redesigning is not free form construction.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Fans are great when it's hot and add tremendously to comfort. You can get rechargeable fans that work all night or built in fans. Radio? Meh. A good bluetooth speaker can be both your cockpit stereo, your cabin radio, and your video tablet sound system. Cushions are always good, I have a two part wedge that can be low, high, or really high so it works as a lounging back support, a pillow, or seat cushion.
USB desk fans can be good.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Yes, camping gear is dual purpose, and removable from boat. A Jackery, it's lightweight & will run any lights, fans, coolers, charge phones, jump start engine/car, and good for power outages at home. Have place below to strap down. Couple of cushions are nice. Few big pillows. Those stick-on led lights, rechargeable, mount on ceiling to reflect your new paint job. Be careful about adding too much below, it's not a Sea Ray at a boat show, it can be like a small floating R/V, or pop-up camper? Your choice, have fun.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You're a big guy. You make that V17 look even smaller that it actually is. I can't imagine 2 of you ever having enough room on board for any length of time. I gotta' say, I agree with finding something larger for comfortable weekend trips.
Happy sailing!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Taylor. Welcome to the SBO forum. Congrats on your first season.

My first boat was a Montgomery 15. Small compact boat. I used it to sail in lakes, bays, and rivers. It was just like backpack camping. A camp stove in the cockpit. A tarp over the boom to give me a covered cockpit (outdoor seating in the rain). A pup tent for 1 or 2 very friendly folk who do not mind sharing a sleeping bag.

The above members have provided insight as to the practicality of rebuilding / remodeling a boat. While I agree with their premise (there are unrecoverable costs), the creativity of doing your own thing can be seen all the time in RV, Car, or Van remodels. Some do it for the fun.

The comments about the nature of boat structure are important. You have one season of sailing. I suspect based on your location, that wild water open ocean sailing is not at the forefront of your planning. Still consider carefully the changes you think would improve the use of your boat. Changes have consequences.

Looking at similar sized boats, can help. Note your changes need to accommodate the trailer and the sailing of the boat. That is why so often the recommendation is to find a boat that fits your dream rather than finding a boat and trying to refit it to your dream.

Best of luck.

• Helpful

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Your boat was most likely designed by a marine architect with weight in the proper places to get the best sailing characteristics out of such a small boat. You will not have a lot of room to change things unless you don't care to keep her sailing as designed. As above, sell this boat and find one with what you desire already built in properly.
Boat redesigning is not free form construction.
It's a 69 MacGregor 17, not a Lamborghini. If he wants to make improvements to his boat, the least we can do is offer constructive help, not simply "Throw it away and buy a new one". It used to be boats were frequently bought as bare hulls and the owner was responsible to fit it out.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
While I agree with all the viewpoints expressed so far, here is my perspective . I'm sensing a hard top tent camping mentality .If you good with that concept ,I hope the following will help .
A clean new porti pottie will go a very long way in making sure your wife will continue to look forward to time on the boat.
A 17' boat is not going to have a great deal of room for sleeping . I'd make the biggest flattest area I could . Followed by the thickest Therma Rest mattress I could fit . A good night's sleep is priceless . A single burner back pack type stove makes a huge differance .
Fresh hot coffee is a life saver in the morning . Being able to heat hot water for dehydrated food or soup makes for a great end of day.
These purchases can be taken off and used camping , or hunting . They can easily transfer to your next boat ...oh there will be one ..

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I think if it was me, I'd be doing two things: Get inside as many other boats as you possibly can, looking for ideas of what works. And second, use Sketchup to mock up the boat, then build the interior digitally to try things out. One you get a feel for it, the software really is quite easy.
If computers aren't your thing, you can go back to old school CAD. That would beCardboard Aided Design, where you cut up cardboard to mock up the interior in place.
Oh and one more suggestion: Find a way to make some of the furniture convert from day time to night time. Day time gives you a settee and maybe a table. Night time those convert to a larger flat area for few self inflating camp mattresses.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
E7EB0C28-E970-48B1-8BB4-F303513B6B99.jpegCF6072CA-559B-41C9-A32C-8D800B8F8D93.jpegOur first boat was a Mac 21, which had minimal accommodations. But the V-berth was OK for 2 people who like to snuggle. And there was low seating along both sides, plus a small sink and table surface.
Like others have said, I think you would do best to buy some camping-type accessories to make it more comfortable and convenient, rather than modifying the boat.
Most importantly, have fun sailing that boat! It will be fast and responsive!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's a 69 MacGregor 17, not a Lamborghini. If he wants to make improvements to his boat, the least we can do is offer constructive help, not simply "Throw it away and buy a new one". It used to be boats were frequently bought as bare hulls and the owner was responsible to fit it out.
The guy asked for opinions and I gave him mine. I guess you know it all, so you go ahead and police other people's opinions.

Jan 24, 2018
Catalina 25 Whiskeytown Lake
Unless you love a challenge and really want to spend the time and money for a remodel project, I would echo the others‘ advice to consider a little bit bigger boat. After having smaller boats, we wanted something bigger and thought a Catalina 22 would be perfect. We ended up with a MacGregor 25 — for about a month, then found what we think is perfect — a C25. If you are stuck on a Mac, a MacGregor 25 is easily trailerable and has plenty of room for what you want. And decent ones are out there for a good price. Ours had a private head, dinette, settee power etc. Nice little boat for what you’re talking about. Here’s some pics.
FCC053D3-948F-4F93-8DA2-C51F2FB73185.jpegDF6BBF84-D77E-4CC2-BD7B-310E4C9AC095.jpegC5DCEBDC-E98B-4793-A911-85C5754A5634.jpeg

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I have a Mac 22 and used ones are fairly easy to find most everywhere and it appears to me that you are attempting to turn that 17 into a 22 which has a place for a porta-potty. For what it's worth over the years I've had a few women on my boat and showed then where the porta-potty was and although acknowledged I did not get a favorable response from any of them as useful information YRMV. On the other hand I believe that you already have arrived at the next level of sailboat ownership and that is all things considered a slightly longer boat would make everybody happier for a very tiny additional investment. In fact for a lot of investigation and effort on your part you may even be able to find a Mac 22 or such that's some old single sailor is willing to trade you straight across for your 17. Often you will find boats for sale have just occurred recent upgrades and then their owners found the boat they spent years looking for.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There's an old adage about making a silk purse from a sow's ear. It can't be done. In a way, that is what you and many others try to do with smaller older, less expensive boats. This is your first boat, it is your learning boat. You will learn to sail on it, learn to dock it, learn to repair it and maintain it. You will make a bunch of mistakes. That is perfectly OK, any of us who are honest about our experiences learning will admit to the same. Some of us continue to screw things up even with decades of experience. :facepalm:

So, don't be discouraged by the many suggestions here to just buy a bigger boat. Clean the boat up, maybe a fresh coat of good paint (Please no house paint.) and another season of sailing and camping out a few nights. If you and your wife enjoy it and would like some more creature comforts, then it is time to invest more money and find a little larger more comfortable boat.

BTW, one of the first things you lose when cruising in a small boat is modesty. ;) :beer: