Connecting H23 bilges?

May 7, 2024
Hunter 23 Ipswich MA
I picked up a H23 for cheap money last fall. Over the winter some water got into the boat. I intend to find the leaks but my question is about water not passing to the lowest point in the boat and collecting in the several separate bilge areas. It appears that water collecting in areas in the v-berth and under the settees does not make it into the bilge at the keel? Any suggestions about connecting the many different holds so that water can flow to the lowest point?

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I discovered the same issue with my H240. Most of the water that I had under the settees was coming from rain around the main hatch. I bought a cover for the the hatch that also covers the drop boards and the issue is not as bad. I do still get water after heavy rains. Having too much weight in the forward part of the boat aggravates the issue. If the water level gets high enough it does flow to the the stern area but the bilge pump does not empty the bilge. I added over four hundred pounds of ballast in flexible water tanks in the settee lockers which displaces the water that leaks in. I have a small battery pump (two D cells) that I use to empty any water accumulation into a bucket. If you get three big guys to stand next to the rudder all the bilge water will pump out.
I have a window/vent combination under the port seat hatch for the stern bunk. It always leaked. I gave it a good cleaning, especially the gasket area around the edge and put a silicone grease on it. It stopped leaking. Good Luck!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with @kwbones today. He raced on a J 24 , J 30 and others but never owned a trailerable sailboat. The H23 wing keel sits on a trailer since last November and it appears the boat is leaking topsides. We talked about fixing leaks under the V Berth, chain plates, slider hatch and so forth. I told him my trick about pressuring the cabin to find other leaks. I asked him to call me back once leaks are found and repaired as ther are other issues.

I discussed weep holes holes with him.
If anyone has pictures for this issue with weep holes being added, please post photos along with any suggestions would be most helpful for this 23.

crazy Dave

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Can't get to boat, which is still wrapped on trailer, but basically the weep holes are just small, say about 1/4 in diameter, holes drilled in the vertical surface of the dividers between the segments of the bilges under the removable floor boards. As near the inner hull as you can get and at the lowest point, I think the centerline. I found I got water in there after every season on the trailer, and it took a few days to seep out into the bilges for me to sponge out periodically. Once sitting level in the water it stayed dry, so I never bothered to pressurize to chase the leak. You may have to remove the flooring in the v berth to get at water there.