Compression Post - way to stop the bleeding?

mavexe

Feb 23, 2024
hunter 31 Lancaster
Hey all,
First of many posts I’m sure to come, but I picked up an ‘85 H31 and it is leaking from the compression post. Is there any way to seal up the connection between mast and post before I get a chance to drop the mast and proper replace it? I just want to stop the leaks on the new cabin sole we’re putting in. I don’t plan on sailing it hard this summer so I’m not concerned with the risk of using it.

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
welcome to the forum!!
It usually is a result of plugged drain holes in the mast base. Small ports that you can unplug with a small wire or toothpick. Once they plug, the water level in the mast base can get above the little pvc standpipe where the wires pass through the deck. Once that happens the mast compression post can rot. Try unplugging the drain ports to buy a little time

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine got plugged up from muddobbers (sp?) nests settling to the base. I installed an inspection plate a while back for another reason, but I could vacuum the base out thru the hole.

mavexe

Feb 23, 2024
hunter 31 Lancaster
kloudie1, I didn’t realize it was a matter of that getting clogged, thanks!

Justin_NSA, ooooo I’ll use a Vacuum too, thanks!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
As per Kloudie & Justin, you want these bleed holes opened, not sealed. That will allow water to drain from inside the mast onto the deck. If plugged up, then water inside the mast may accumulate higher than the wiring chase and leak inside the boat.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
I dropped my mast this past summer and then replaced wiring, standing rigging, sheaves, antenna, wind instruments, cap for the top of the mast and anything else I could think of. What I learned about the drain system within the base of the mast plate and the cabin roof are two small channels on the underside of the base plate that need to be cleaned out, once cleaned it's a maintenance job. I use a cleaning rod from a 22ga rifle and the brush that fits on the end, couple of pulls back and forth and it's good. Do not lubricate the area, just run something between the roof deck and the mast base.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
And in addition to keeping the drain holes clean, when you next drop the mast, put a drip loop in the wire bundle so eliminate water running down the wires and through the pvc tube.