Clean up after holding tank leaked when pressurized

May 3, 2022
Beneteau 331 City Island
Hello

The holding tank on a friend's boat leaked a couple of pints of black water when it filled up and got briefly pressurized. It hissed a little and then leaked the black water onto the floor of the head and the bilge in the aft cabin.

Since the leak, they have taken these steps to clean up the problem:
  1. Clean up the black water that leaked.
    1. Remove the black water that leaked.
    2. Sanitize the floor of the head and the bilge in the aft cabin with household bleach.
    3. Rinse the sanitized areas with fresh water.
  2. Pump out the holding tank.
  3. Clean out the vent line, which was clogged near its exit.
  4. Replace the vent line filter.
  5. Flush the pump out line with fresh water.
However, the head still smells badly. Examining the exterior of the holding tank does not indicate where the leak occurred, and all of the hoses and hose connections appear good.

They suspect that black water that ran down the inside hull below the holding tank may be causing the smell. How should this area be cleaned up? It cannot be accessed from the opening that provides access to the holding tank.

Thanks
Arthur
holding tank.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I dumped some nasty water from my holding tank and it drained under the floor and to the bilge.

I pumped out the bilge, got a bucket of hot water and ammonia, and flooded the area where I spilled the tank…it flowed in essentially the same path to the bilge. Pumped out the bilge and repeated the process several times…no more smell.

Greg

May 3, 2022
Beneteau 331 City Island
Thank you @Tally Ho , my friend and I will try that.

I dumped some nasty water from my holding tank and it drained under the floor and to the bilge.

I pumped out the bilge, got a bucket of hot water and ammonia, and flooded the area where I spilled the tank…it flowed in essentially the same path to the bilge. Pumped out the bilge and repeated the process several times…no more smell.

Greg

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You need to be very careful with ammonia. Make sure they is no bleach left over and all the chlorine is gone. Ammonia and chlorine combine to make toxic gases. Ammonia is very pungent and irritating on its own, so you will want to get off the boat until it's gone.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You need to be very careful with ammonia. Make sure they is no bleach left over and all the chlorine is gone. Ammonia and chlorine combine to make toxic gases. Ammonia is very pungent and irritating on its own, so you will want to get off the boat until it's gone.
Lots of water to rinse after the ammonia/water mix…and pump it all out.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
1. What is a vent line filter ?
2. Whatever it is, tell your friend to get rid of it. It can only go to block off the vent line.

I would suspect it's purpose is to cover up the smell of a non ventilated holding tank.
1. It is just what the name implies: a charcoal filter in the tank vent vent line that prevents holding tank odor from escaping out the vent. They're expensive, only a last a year or two and are "toast" immediately if they get wet, which makes them a bad choice on sailboats because tank contents can spill into the vent line when the boat heels...a bad choice on any boat because they make it impossible to backflush the vent line to prevent vent blockages.

There are boats that have tanks buried so low in deep bilges that the air exchange with the gasses in the tank necessary to PREVENT odor from occurring can't work, making a filter the only solution to odor out the vent, but only as a last resort.

--Peggie