Catalina Metal Plaque

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I have a 1989 Catalina 22 that has a small etched metal plaque on the inside of the stern cockpit. Most of the info is almost gone and the ID numbers are barely legable. I have been trying for a few years to purchase a new one directly from Catalina but they have not been helpful. I will be taking it upon my self to create one.
If anyone has one and it's readable please show me a photo for reference.
Thank you.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Often those numbers are etched into the hull near the hull/deck joint. So.....since what you propose is akin to creating your own VIN plate, check your registration and the hull numbers to insure a match.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
It is not a HUll ID #, only a model designator and note of hull serial number (which repeats in other years.) If you have the original main sail it will match the serial number.

Mar 2, 2018
Well after getting blown off by Catalina customer service I created new artwork which will be made into sandblast stencil. I fabricated a new aluminum plaque and will etch a new one. I've also recreated the sticker below it that say's IMPORTANT and having it digitally printed.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Well after getting blown off by Catalina customer service
You didn't get blown off, they just told you they don't make them anymore.

A d for good reason, since the HIN is stenciled on the transom. Those plates became useless after 1972 or 1979 whenever they mandated HINs on transoms. I have a plate on my C34, can't read it, no big deal.

You want a plate, now you're making one, that's nice. Don't pick on a builder because they stopped making them decades ago.

Mar 2, 2018
Stu,
In your response to me it sounds like you personally talked to Warren Pandy about me .Is that correct ?
I really don't think you were part of my discussion with the Customer Service rep.
Last year I was personally told that they in fact could make me one. I would have to send them the original plaque with documentation that proved I owned the boat along with $85.00. Then he said it would be at least 6 months before it could even happen so I should call back then. Well I waited a year and called him back. Never got a response. I'd call that being "Blown Off".

Here is my version which I will etch onto a new aluminum plaque.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have owned Catalina sailboats for 40 years (C22, C25, C34). I have been the secretary of the C34 International Association since 1999. I am very familiar with the results of the work of the factory and their excellent representatives. No, I didn't talk to Warren about your request, but I am familiar with those metal plaques and what weathering does to them and the fact that they don't make 'em anymore, and haven't for a long, long time. So, of course, I knew you were exaggerating with your assertion. Thanks, your description of what happened simply confirms my notion.
Nice job on your version. Have you considered making them available to other owners who are looking for a (useless but pretty) plaque? :)

Mar 2, 2018
So, of course, I knew you were exaggerating with your assertion. Thanks, your description of what happened simply confirms my notion.
Stu, I was in no way “Exaggerating “ !
Everything I said happened. They could have simply told me they not longer made those , in your words “useless but pretty plaques”

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
the fact that they don't make 'em anymore, and haven't for a long, long time.
[/QUOTE]

Just to correct the record, attached is a photo of the metal plaque on our year-old Catalina 315, so obviously the factory is still making the plaques. It is installed at the base of the companionway.
IMG_3176.jpeg

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
When I first looked into having my plate re made by the factory, it was $35. When I finally got around to it, it was $50 and I don't recall having to wait months for it either. Hopefully the new one will last another 35 years for the next owner to enjoy.