Catalina 88 36 Steaming Light replacement

Mar 22, 2011
hunter 25 inland lake
Hello,

I unstepped the mast this summer and have been doing some upgrading and replacement. All that is left is replacement of the steaming light….The old halogen plug in connector disenigrated when I removed it from the old housing…..and the wire colors don’t match the wiring diagram colors…so I am concerned about reverse polarity or wiring it in correctly ..because I am totally inept when it comes to wiring anything. Wiring connector for the mast in the bilge… is old style plug.

I have three wires that come out the mast. A black..which had a sticker on it that said grd…and a red and white one. The el cheapo #25 mast head light replacement..only has 2 wires…. Would prefer an upgraded steaming light vs the el cheapo…so any advice would be welcomed. Boat is in Port Clinton Ohio area. Thanks in advance for any direction.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I replaced my steaming/deck light a few years ago.. Decided to go with LED.... Bad choice.. Good for steaming, lousy for deck light.. the following year the LED was replaced with a new halogen light.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Alternatively the halogen could be replaced by a brighter LED bulb.
Not sure real bright lights are good on the bow. I prefer red light from my headlamp if more light is needed. Helps to preserve some of your night vision. Helps to see something’s coming at you on those dark nights. Sometimes nothing helps.

It was a cold dark night. The tempest raged as Captain Clive searched for the entrance to the harbor…..