Catalina 250: wing keel or water ballast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Erik

Hi, I am interested in a Catalina 250 but can't decide if the water ballast or wing keel model is best. I understand the water ballast model is easier to trailer (which I plan to do a lot), but I am wary of it's upwind performance and open water stability. Most of my sailing will be on inland lakes, but I will to spend some time in the Gulf of Mexico and Florida Keys. I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has sailed both models. Thanks in advance for the information.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Try the C25 Association website

try this: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Neither

the boat is too small. Get a boat you can stand up in. You'll be glad you did.

Feb 25, 2007
- - Sandusky, Ohio
I can stand up

Jim, I guess your response depends on how tall you are. I can stand up in my C250 Wing. But, you make a relevant point. The wing has about 6" more head room than the WB. Erik, Think about how much trailering you'll REALLY be doing. It will take at least an hour to rig the boat AFTER you gain some experience doing that. Then, another hour ++ taking it down. Until then, 1.5+ hours is more likely. IMO, the only advantage that the WB has over the wing is trailerability. If you REALLY intend to trailer a lot, it might be the better choice. If you're going to wet slip it in Texoma and occasionally trailer to the Gulf, I'd go with the wing. Follow the link in Stu's comment.

J

Jeff

Wing

Had one few years ago. fast in light air, roomy, reasonably stable in calm waters. Don't go out in rough seas in either one, it's a bucking bronco. It should be outstanding for a lake. The wing has better headroom. I'm 6' and still complained with the higher interior. The pop top only provides headroom for working in the galley. Don't trailer. Big hassle, you'll never use the boat on a trailer. Slip it at your home port and charter elsewhere. The 1 or 2 times a year that you'll go sailing elawhere does not justify the hassle of trailering, much less the room and stability reduction of a water ballast.

Status
Not open for further replies.