catalina 22 retractablr keel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

I am considering buying a catalina 22 mkII (1999-2001 and was leaning towards the retractable keel model, however, I have heard from a few people that they have leaking problems where the cable comes thru the hull, one person told me he bought a 2000 model and it leaked and catalina fixed it, and I read a article on this site (reviews) that one guy can't sail his boat because it leaks so bad and he goes on to say that catalina knows there is a manufacturing defect and has not recalled this model. I would appreiate any comments on this issue so that I can make a decision on which model to buy, retractable or wing. Also, how is the launching process with the wing keel getting in on

S

Scot Mathis

Wing keel

I have an '88 wing keel. It sits a little higher on the trailer and needs a little deeper water for launching. As long as you have a trailer tongue extension it's not a problem. I would never trade for a swing keel. I love having no maintenance headaches and nothing but dust in the bilge. Scot

J

jay

swing keel

I have an old 1977 model swing keel and have had no problems. I did find that the keel cable had at some point been routed on the wrong side of the pully ball and was slowly sawing the boat in half. But I have never had her leak a drop. Lucky I guess. Good Luck, Jay

E

Ed P. C-22

Swing Keel, Noooooo

If you have any choice at all, stay away from the swing keel. Besides being lighter in weight, it does require some regular maintenance which is not easy to accomplish without building special jigs, etc. Although I haven't had a real problem with mine, it does require dropping the keel every season to check the swing pin, bolts, and general condition of that portion of the keel that isn't visible when on the trailer. If I had to do it over again, I would opt for the wing keel. It's a compromise to be sure, but it still gives you reasonable launchability, and makes the boat handle well. If you're into racing however, the wing may not be the way to go because it doesn't point as well as a fin keel. Just make your choice on what your needs/expectations are and you should be happy with whatever boat you decide on. Good Luck !!

J

Jim

Mine's OK

I have a 1981 swing keel that has spent most of its life in the water. I pulled it out lasst year and inspected the pivot pin, it was well greased and still like new. I have had no problems with the keel, the cable the winch the pivot pin or the keel lock. It staays in its slip with the keel down 99% of the time. I enjoy the shallow draft features with the keel up. Makes it easy to go on and off the trailer and I do not worry about running aground when the lake level drops.

W

W. Bell

1979 Swing Keel OK

I have a 79 c-22 and love the swing keel design. I keep the boat in the water all year long. I am going to pull the boat and inspect...but don't think there is any problems. I don't hear the typical..klunk...when there is excessive wear. Also, i have never had water leaking from the centerboard trunk. The locking screw does need to have grease to prevent dripping though. The person who had the boat before me put a trailer winch for the keel...so i am replacing it with the correct model when i pull the boat. Time to paint the bottom after 2 years in the water. Regards, Bill "Nameless" Pt. Orange,Fl

C

Campy

Retractable keel

Buy the boat! Whether the "Volcano" (where the sink drain is on the older boats) leaks or if the keel cable hole leaks it is very easy to knock off the bad fiberglass, rebuild a new one and install the guide ball, hose and cable that Catalina Direct sells. I did it and I'm no professional. Took a couple of days, some trial and error, but I sailed all summer, fall and winter last year and had no leaks, even in 30 knot winds with great angles of heeling. Hang in there, the C-22 is a blast! Mine is 2226, 1973. Oh, the swing keel also functions as an inexpensive depth guage... ask my 13y/o skipper/daughter! Campy

J

John

Do you want to trailer

What you want to do with the boat? If you plan on trailering the boat then go with the swing keel. If the boat will be in a slip, go with a fin. I would not go with a Wing Keel. Even with the trailer extension, you will find that certain launches are not steep enough to launch you boat. The only way I'd consider a Wing would be if I knew in advance where I was planning on launching and I could verify in advance that I could launch on those ramps. Having the ability to take the boat anywhere, launch anywhere, is the primary advantage of the swing. The Wing is a compromise between trailerability and a fixed keel, with the primary disadvantage of requiring a steep launching ramp.

B

Bill

Leaky keel is most common problem

Before you decide on a swing keel you might want to enlist in the C-22 email list server hosted by http://www.catalinadirect.com. Check the email for a couple of weeks and you will find numerious discussions regarding leaky swing keel boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.