Can a Solar Charge Controller be used to regulate an outboard ?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
great post @walt

Does a MPPT Type controller actually disconnect/connect ?
I'm new to solar charging so I'm still reading up on the details of how the various controllers actually work as opposed to the usual marketing overview

@Chief RA Very true. Good to have that warning voiced

FWIW I'm ok with some experimenting. While I'm not an electronics pro, I spent 3 years in High School electronics, and I do repairs on electronics/wirng in customer's vehicles almost daily. For this season I'll just get the boat's wiring functional enough to be usable, in spite of my "natural tendencies" hehe. Might be a good winter project though.

This whole idea occurred to me, because some of the PWM Controllers I have been looking at, have displays showing battery state, charging in progress etc. So my initial thought was "Would be nice to not only make sure that voltage from the outboard doesn't get too high. While I plan in installing a Volt/Amp meter for monitoring, maybe this can be done with a solar charge controller, to decrease complexity and lower cost"
Will MPPT charger/regulator work. NO.
MPPT requires an input voltage of at least 17VDC in order that there is any output available. The outboard does not put out that much voltage.
Connect the outboard cables directly to the battery, no regulation is needed.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
This thread is bit old but I don't want to start a new thread. I am asking the same question except I don't have a cranking battery. What I want to know if I can hook up my Yamaha F6 to a solar panel controller to change my lithium batteries?
No