Cabin Storage on a Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Ritter

I very interested to read about any modifications that other owners have made to add additional storage inside the cabin of a C22. I have a 1983 C22 and find it hard to store idems (coolers, food, drinks ect. when planning a extended time on the boat without tripping over or having to always move things around inside the cabin. Any modifications or ideas would be greatly appricated. Thanks..............

S

Stu Jackson C34 1986 #224

C22 Storage

Jack When you look around, you have already found that there just isn't much room. We weekended for many years on ours. The only places are under the dinette seats and under the V berth. We put our cooler either in the cockpit or under the table. There's always the lazarrette. We considered small mesh storage hammocks, and I think we used one up forward in the V berth. We also built the athwartships plywood to use the dinette area for sleeping, so the V berth was a great place to put stuff, since we never used it. Depends on how many people you have. Have you tried the C22 Association website for their ideas? There's always that trip packing adage: pack once, take half the stuff out and you are ready to go. Good luck. Stu

B

bob

how long does ice last

My wife and I go to the coast each year on our 22 for a month. With just two of us we find it quite similar to camping. We always leave the table down and it is our bed. Cooking anything othere than water for tea or coffee is done in the cockpit on our two burner propane camp stove. We have a nylon tarp that drapes over the boom and over the lifelines to keep the rain, sun or dew off while at anchor. The cabin is used for sleeping, as our bathroom, and evening reading. The rest or our time is spent in the cockpit or exploring destinations. In the cabin we store the heavy items low and the bulky items on the V berth. Our clothing and toiletries are kept in backpacks. We find that once every three to four days its time to get water and ice and groceries and fuel and laundry and maybe a dinner and even a few beers at a marina. I would not enjoy a trip longer that three to four days with more than two people on board.

D

David Williams

Learning to Travel

I am learning to travel with my C-22. In fact, I am considering the Northern Gulf Coast Cruise this year. It seems there are two modes of storage concerns, traveling and sailing. I took my starboard cushions out. When traveling I stow my boom, tiller, rudder, cockpit cushions, and other sailing stuff on this side. While sailing, I plan to stow life jackets, and a tarp under the Starboard Lazerette, and food storage containers slid under from the inside. Extra sails bags and sleeping gear in the v-berth. I have an ice chest that fits in the walkway inside, and plan to get another like ice chest. Fuel tank (2 gallon) will stay in the cockpit, just do not want gasoline inside my boat. I built two anchor holders that mount on the pulpit. I am tall, so I took out the aft-port seat back...makes for more leg room while sleeping, plus I can easily stow gear under the port cockpit seat. I found some plastic containers at Wal-Mart that I can slip through the opening and fit in the area under the cockpit floor. I think that I will keep my water jug and fenders where I can get them from the Port Lazerette. I keep shoes under my bed, tools under the Starboard Berth forward compartment. I have many questions myself: Where to carry trash? How long will vacuum packed food last on a boat? I was considering preparing meatloaf, roast, chili, and like items...vacuum packing and freezing them. I do not know how many days these items will stay good. I haven't been able to find this information on the internet. Just a few thoughts, David

A

Aldo

It can be done, but it's a challenge

Jack: We sail on our C-22 every summer on a weeklong cruise with Fleet 10 from Annapolis, MD. I am always amazed that our boat can even float when we load it with everything. About everything we ever use for the boat is on it, all at the same time. Did I mention we also have our 2 sons, ages 16 and 18 on the boat? The youger one is about 6'2". Anyway, we have a 1980 which I believe makes it easier to store things than the newer boats, because of the little shelves built into the sides of the cabin. Our boat still sails OK compared to the other C-22s that aren't loaded quite as much, or are newer, but then again, we have movable ballast. We do OK when we have our little races to our next anchorage or marina on our cruise. The main problem we have is when it's time to sleep, everything must be rearranged inside the cabin. My one son prefers to sleep in the cockpit, just to avoid this issue. We keep our inflatable dinghy in a sailbag in the port sail compartment. We keep our cooler under the tiller, and sometimes a second cooler under the table, that usually remains down. We are starting to get a good amount of electronics on the boat, and have a bag for the autopilot and GPS and the associated cables. We carry the dinghy motor on the stern, attached to the starboard side of the travler. We don't have a stern rail, but it would be nice if we did. We just removed the galley last summer, and installed a small set of ~5 plastic drawers, that we temporarily attached, and will more permanently attach this summer. Shoes and sandal for 4 people is also an issue. They end up being stored everywhere, and some of them aren't too small anymore. Storing everything can be done. It is a challenge. I have thought about buying a second C-22 for my sons, but they don't help me clean mine, and I sure don't want to clean 2 of them, so we will just keep moving stuff around inside the boat for a few more years. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.