C-28 - what to look for?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I’ve been trailer sailing since the early 90s. I’ve resisted the impulse to go bigger for several reasons, but the call is tempting me again.

the 1990 C-28 for sail in Muskegon Michigan seems to be decently priced, and from the pictures, it seems to be in good shape For its age. I have all the normal questions for the broker . . . Engine hours, condition of sails, age of standing rigging, availability of dockage in Muskegon for next summer…

in our first phone call, he told me he thinks the biggest problem is the “boat smell.” he thinks the interior cushions all need replacing (I’ve priced that out) and the hoses on the head (No idea how to price that out).

What should I be looking for when I go to look at it?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What is the smell from? Human waste? Diesel? Mold/mildew?

lots of ways to deal with smells, but you need to know where it is coming from.

For head hoses, you will need to estimate the length of tho hose from the toilet to the holding tank, accounting for any loops, and from the tank to the pumpout fitting.

Raritan Saniflex is a very good hose…flexible and a 10-year impermeability warranty.

Fisheries has it listed for $16.80 a foot for 1.5”. Shop around and I am sure you can find it for less.

Good luck!

Greg

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like you are reading to “Go For it!”

Certainly ask the questions Of the broker, but verify his answers with your own inspection.

“Oh the sails, well they are really good. There are a few years on them but they are clean!” Means to me the broker has no clue About the condition of the sails. The primary power source for a sail boat. If sailing is your goal, you need to expect in the next 2-3 years you will be investing in new sails. So price your offer accordingly. If you open the sail bag and see crisp, perfect color cloth that looks like a new starched dress shirt, you just hit the jackpot. More likely the sails will be limp, with some stains, perhaps thin in places. These are often considered “blown out”. No need for a fuss. Just adjust your price and expectations.

Leaks are common for a 30 year old boat. Just avoid a boat that has soft spongy decks. Wet core in a deck is not a simple fix. Look at the metal on the boat. If you see surface rust stains you likely have a problem. A careful survey of all metal on the boat will help to identify the unsafe from the safe.

Good luck with this process. May you find a boat that fits your dream. Remember the fable, the princess had to kiss a few frogs before she found her Prince. All you have to do is look at a few boats. That is a whole lot more fun than kissing frogs.

Feb 19, 2008
I’m not overly gung-ho. in fact I have several project on my Capri 18 that I’m looking forward to over the winter and into next summer.

there are a lot of things I like about my trailer boat:
I like to be able to sail out of different ports on different weekends, I like the low cost, I like the simplicity of the onboard systems. Last year for example I upgraded my stereo, added a phone charger, replaced most of the wiring and replaced all of the cabin lights in a weekend, and for less than $200.

the Capri 18 is the heaviest trailer sailer I’ve owned, the consequence is that it’s an hour+ at the ramp, instead of about 20 minutes with my hunter 170, and it’s a tough hour. The fixed keel makes it harder to launch, but it sails like heavier boat too.

the call to the larger boat is all about creature comforts. If it happens, it needs to happen before I’m too damned old to enjoy it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m too damned old to enjoy it.
Age is a number. Enjoyment is in the mind.

I’m a believer, if you think you really want to do it (What ever it is). Do it sooner than later.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
John, I took a look at your prospective boat and agree it seems to be in pretty good shape, shows normal wear here and there. The 'boat smell' can be resolved with the right airing out and chemicals. There are a couple of chemicals to neutralize them depending on the source. The cushions I believe are salvageable. It probably does need new head hoses that should not be a surprise and perhaps a real deep cleaning. These projects are not large maybe not pleasant but small in the overall scheme of things. There are a couple of things to check for, first with it being a single spreader you need to make sure that the mast plate upgrade has been done, there is also the connector plugs from the engine set, these short out and if not already replaced they should be. The boat has had some good upgrades and also has good electronics to appears to be a good one of good value. I would also suggest that you join the C-28 Yahoo group. They have a WiKi section that you can search out recalls, problems over time and such as that. If you do get the boat you may also want to subscribe to Mainsheet magazine the Catalina owners magazine. I have had a C-28 for about 20 years and it has been the best all around boat that I have had. I had one other that would out sail it in a blow but in all around sailing and livability I rate it very high indeed. I am also the Technical Advisor for the magazine for the C-28. It's a good old boat but not with out it's nuances. If you have further or more detailed questions regarding it you can contact me either here or on the C-28 site. Like all production boats things were improved, updated, different items used as they buy them in bulk. I don't think you could go wrong with that boat. I can see the arguments to justify the price, like instruments, bimini, dodger, solar panels, auto pilot etc. I can also see the arguments to nit pik price but even if you do pay full price you will not be hut or regret it. Goo luck with your decesion.

Feb 19, 2008
Thank you @KCofKC
in the pictures, the cushions sure do look like they could be replaced. That’s a vanity or creature comfort thing, and not urgent.

im trying to decide how serious am. You input is encouraging.