C-22 Verses Morgan 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2004
- - Melvern Lake - Kansas
I was on the lake today matched up against a Morgan 22 beating and on a reach. It felt like he had a quarter knot on me both ways. Does anyone know how the Morgan 22 is suppose to do against a Catalina 22 by handicap? Is the sail area about the same?

W

watercolors

sailboat racing

The Morgan is a larger boat, longer, wider and heavier than the Catalina. The Morgan was built in the 70’s when the boat had to perform for sailors, the Catalina was built for a special market. I think Frank was lucky the boat performs as well as it does. Looks like the Portsmouth rating is very close. The PHRF rating shows the Morgan is faster. Now, from what you stated there are 5 factors you must consider in your judgement. 1. All points of sail are used to make up the handicap. Downwind you may have an advantage. 2.Condition of the hull, there’s a 10% difference in speed between VC Offshore and VC-17 paint alone. 3. Rigging tuned for those wind conditions and with all the right stuff. 4. Weight of the extra equipment carried on each boat. Guys who like to go fast, sail with less stuff than those cruisers who have everything plus for their time on the boat. 5. Skippers ability being number one

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
percentages

I'd be interested in where you got the 10% differences in speed between the VC Offshore and VC 17 and which is fastest? a website maybe? Your own test? Thanks

W

watercolors

experience

The fellow who taught me sailing and has over 20 years experience on me, could not beat me when he had Offshore on his Catalina 25 and I went to VC17, even his son sailing a Balboa 27. Now that they both went to 17 I can no longer keep up with them. It’s like a teflon coating, very slick when wet. 17 has to be done every year. Takes two coats first 3 or 4 years, then there seams to be enough built up for only one coat for the last 3 years. One can is not enough to do two coats, that's hull, keel and rudder. Make sure your hull is super smooth and the keel is coated before starting. Every year, just wash down with soap and water before recoating, no sanding, drys in a couple minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.