Boom

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure what reply you seek. It appears you are rebuilding a boat that was manufactured in the late 60’s and 45 were launched.

It is highly unlikely that you’ll find a supplier with a OEM boom on the shelf anywhere.

What to do? Get some original specs and then talk with a spar manufacturer.

A quick database search yields this info.

E:16.00 ft / 4.88 m
E is the length on the boom from the mast to the end of the main sail. You’ll need a boom at least that long. Then you’ll need to identify the hardware you want for the rigging you desire.

Ain’t refitting boats a fun project.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Lots of boats were totaled iin your area a couple of years ago you can probably find a used boom if you can find a scrap place .. ya may have to re-use some of your old hardware but in general Rig Rite and Sparcraft will have the stuff ya need..

AngelM

Jun 8, 2023
Oday 28 Tampa
Yes a blast, and no-one will offer ideas and local riggers kinda useless. You have given me a great perspective on how to continue this project and I will seek manufacturers like U.S spars. Thanks. Angel.

AngelM

Jun 8, 2023
Oday 28 Tampa
Lots of boats were totaled iin your area a couple of years ago you can probably find a used boom if you can find a scrap place .. ya may have to re-use some of your old hardware but in general Rig Rite and Sparcraft will have the stuff ya need..
Thanks a bunch will follow your ideas. Angel

Sep 7, 2022
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 Lake Wylie
If that doesn't work, Dwyer Mast and Rigging, with a website online, got back to me quickly with a boom quote for my dinghy.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
…I will seek manufacturers like U.S spars. Thanks. Angel.
A longer boom can be cut back with a hacksaw and the end cap reattached with a rivet gun. Salvage yard is still a good choice.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yup! When a Capri 22 went up on the causeway rocks I was talking with the Sea Tow guys who were trying to get it moved 500 yards to a launch ramp. The wanted the keel and hardware and I’m sure the rig, which was undamaged.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A longer boom can be cut back with a hacksaw and the end cap reattached with a rivet gun. Salvage yard is still a good choice.
I feel kind of lame quoting myself but here is me doing a repair on a boom with a hacksaw. I did not have to buy a new boom. Mine was about 6" longer than it needed to be so I just cut off 1.5". I also broke my end cap so I needed to buy a new one. Drilled some holes in the new boom end -- and through the ears on the endcap and poket riveted the new end cap into place. Easy peasy.

I prefer to use rivets for two reasons.
1) They don't ever back out
2) You can match the metal. In this case I used aluminum rivets in an aluminum mast.

I have had older boats where the machine screws were used to hold bails and tangs etc. on a boom. And I always found corrosion where the screw went into the aluminum.

2018-06-13 11.04.55.jpg
2018-06-23 12.26.15.jpg

2018-06-23 12.27.26.jpg
2018-06-23 12.26.31.jpg