Best place to replace a mast

Mar 4, 2014
Boston whaler Harpoon 5.2 Santa Rosa lake
Hello all, I'm new to forum and honestly I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I couldn't find a forum for my kind of boat. Anyway here is the situation I recently purchased a Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 with a mast the previous owner bent. It looks like he tried to straighten it but ended up collapsing the tube. I've been searching around for a new mast but being that I live in New Mexico there isn't much in the way of mast makers. So here's my question, where is the best place to get a new mast that won't cost me 3 grand to replace this thing? Is there a place that specializes in used masts? Thank you so much for your time.

Mar 4, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I looked into rig rite yesterday but ultimately called Dwyer masts and they quoted me 400. I'm just going to swap all my stuff over when I get it. Incidentally for any other harpoon owners out there your mast is this dm4 with them. Thanks for your help

Jun 24, 2014
Kayaks for now, oday coming soon 13 Waterford, CT
I know this is a very late reply, but I thought topical for future readers.

For small boats it might be worth making you own masts by laminating 2 2x4s together then cutting them into octagon shape. If you really want you can shave that to round, but the mast will cost you a max of $20 that way.

If you are handy enough to step and rig a mast, then you are handy enough to make one. And they look nice too if you stain and oil/varnish them.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I like your style Mac! A finished wood mast would work great and indeed the price is right! Might need to laminate more than 2 ea. 2x4's to achieve the length needed. Redwood?
Some of our wood experts could probably elaborate in more detail on structure concept?
Chief

Jun 24, 2014
I didn't realize the mast of the whaler was so tall. My goodness. In that case I'd probably go to a lumber yard and ask them for a solid piece of bebarked pole pine that's 4-5 inches at the base and 3-4 inches at the top. It'll cost more though, but it will be a solid mast.

Alternatively and this won't appeal to everyone. Switch to a gaff rig sail, then you'll only need a 16 ft mast for that boat. That's probably not what you wish to do though. I am guessing but a sail at that size would probably cost $250-400. I like gaff rigs myself, especially gaff rigged schooners and ketches.

Mar 4, 2014
Not that I'm going to do this because I already bought and received my new mast but a sailing buddy of mine was saying that I should have just made a steel tubing mast arguing that steel is stronger than aluminum by volume. To which I argued that the added weight would make it impractical. We went back and forth over it but no I have to ask has anyone ever done this? It just doesn't seem like it would work because of the added weight. At any rate it doesn't much matter now I just wanted to know if anyone has actually tried it and perhaps gain the information i need to win a friendly argument lol.

Jun 24, 2014
The added weight will raise the center of gravity a little so when you are on a reach the boat may heel a little more. Although steel is stronger by volume, aluminum is stronger by weight. Wood would be heavier than aluminum too.

Mar 4, 2014
Interesting so it looks like I have officially lost this battle then. I guess if one absolutely had to they could indeed use a steel mast though I still would rather have the actual equipment designed for my boat. I had been under the impression that it just wouldn't work because there would be too much weight aloft. I did some researching around trying to prove my point today but the more I look the more evidence to the contrary I find. Looks like I owe my buddy a six pack.

Mar 4, 2014
On a side note I saw a post on turning these boats into gaff rigged boats, which for some reason has caught my fancy. Something about not having a 24' mast appeals to me especially since the mast hangs out way past the boat when trailering. Maybe in the future I will look into either gaff rigging the boat or in some other way shortening the mast. I think ideally having a mast at or around the length of the boat would work nicely, though that would mean basically reinventing the wheel in terms of the sail plan.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Interesting so it looks like I have officially lost this battle then.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.... unless I missed reading a post. But in a bet like this...it is not your job to prove your friend's point... that would be his job... your position is well documented. No.... let him bring you some examples (powerboat or ship masts don't count).

Jun 24, 2014
I like gaff rigs the most. Lower center if gravity, shorter masts and less staying needed.

The caveat is they are lower aspect rigs, meaning you make less good going upwind...or in other words it will take more or longer tacks to get upwind.

However when sailing on a reach, you'll outrun Marconi rigs every day because you won't heel as much capturing more wind lower down.

Jun 24, 2014
One thing however about alum vs steel. You probably don't need the strength of the steel. If you break a mast designed for you boat, you did something wrong, like capsize at full speed, or roll on a broach...which if you get yourself caught in a broach condition in that little boat, then I am afraid you deserve whatever you get, cause you out yourself there when you should have stayed home :)

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

have you found your mast yet ? .... I know there is one in the back lot at sailboat inc in Indianapolis, Indiana .... you might contact them and pick it up for a great price...

sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
hello

have you found your mast yet ? .... I know there is one in the back lot at sailboat inc in Indianapolis, Indiana .... you might contact them and pick it up for a great price...

sincerely
Jess
See post #7

Mar 4, 2014
So a little update we couldn't settle the bet as every bit of research i presented my buddy countered. Long story short we built a steel mast and tested it against the aluminum mast at the lake last weekend. Here is what we found, first and foremost they both work. Secondly the steel mast makes the boat roll slower, making for a nice sail. The aluminum mast was relatively expensive where as all told the steel mast cost a total of 150$. Amazingly I really liked the way the boat functioned with the steel mast, it gives you a little more reaction time before going over. That said and call me crazy but I think I'll continue to use the stock mast with the knowledge that if it breaks again I'll make a steel mast rather than buy another expensive extrusion. Lastly I learned my buddy only drinks expensive beer lol. So there you have it steel masts will work on a 5.2. Now to figure out how to gaff or lateen rig the boat for my newest bet...

Jun 24, 2014
Sure, one part at a time you can turn your boat into a heavy displacement boat. They are almost always a smoother ride, but you'll start loosing some speed eventually if you don't increase your sail area to push it a little harder.