Antifreeze for Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Caine

I have to change antifreeze on Yanmar this weekend and I seem top remember there is a certain type of antifreeze that should not be used on marine diesels?

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Jim, no such warning in my Yanmar shop manual

It says to use a permanent type antifreeze that is safe for aluminum. But then it says that when the antifreeze is no longer needed, to replace it with plain water and add a rust inhibitor! No explanation. My book is from the mid '80s. The most common rust inhibitor is antifreeze.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
recent spec's.

Jim: I believe that they are now recommending Havoline Extended Life (not sure about the exact wording). This stuff is suppose to be good for at least 5 years.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Isn't that the stuff your dog can drink and not

hurt him? Propylene glycol, right? Now if Costco would just carry it.

D

Don

All you ever wanted to know

check out this link and note the last portion related to coolant type

May 10, 2004
- - Newburyport, ma
Yanmar Bullentin

Yanmar did come out with a notice to replace the green colored antifreeze that was used in all new engines with the red extended life stuff. It is important that the cooling system is completely flushed with fresh water before adding the red stuff. I was told by a Yanmar dealer that if you don't, the green and red could mix and clog up your heat exchanger if there was a lot of green left in the system, which is not good.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Don, the good folks at Yanmarhelp.com are

making some pretty strong statements huh? The life span of the green stuff (Prestone) is suppose to be only 300hrs. I've used Prestone since puberty in the sixties and never had a cooling problem that could be attributed to the antifreeze. I've even recycled the same coolant to two different engines in my hot rod and left it in service for over 10 years. No problems. No rust either. And I have a hell of a lot of aluminum in that cars' cooling passages. My Yanmar never got 300 hour changes either. And no coolant problems. Hell, thats as often as the oil filter needs changing. The most important thing you can do for a cooling system is to keep the air out. Recovery tanks are standard for a reason. One went in my hot rod when they were invented.

D

Don

Fred

Your probably right but if there is a chance I can save myself an expensive repair bill with $25 in antifreeze, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Don

B

Bob Bass

It's the Silica

I changed out the green to the orange several years ago. Was explained to me that the orange is silica free. The silica in the green deposits on the walls of the heat exchanger and lowers the heat transfer rate. I agree that the green doesn't need to be changed so often, but the orange has a much longer useful life according to the specs.

N

nick maggio

Anti-Freezes Info

Texaco Long Life Coolant Anti-Freeze both regular and premix product codes-7997-7998 Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze-code 7994 Dex-cool Long Life Coolant Prestone Extended Life Coolant code AF888 Yanmar Diesel America Corp

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 34 Seattle
Lld Green Antifreeze Recommended

I just had my injector pumps rebuilt (ouch)and questioned the green antifreeze replaced in my engine. I have been reading these posts and was planning to replace the green with the extended life red type. I talked to the Yanmar dealer that worked on the injectors and they stated that is has been their experience that on the older engines (mine is a 1984)they have had problems with leaks when replacing the old green type with the new extended life red. They recommended that I stay with the green stuff and not switch over to the red. I think I will adhere to this advise.

Jun 5, 2004
HUNTER 450 Rockhall MD
coolent

I have a yanmar in my 376. It has the green coolent , Im A GM tech 23 years we had a lot of problems with the extended life coolent. If it had green stay with green the pink extended life jells up if you do not get all the air out of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.